Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Adding AC to a 1970's bi-level home

I'm in northern NJ, here are some basics on the home:

Original forced air furnace with no AC.
    "energy efficient" windows installed ~5 years ago.
    2100 sq/ft home

After being miserable in the heat wave we just had, I figured I would look into adding AC. This isn't as easy as it seems!

My first quote was very vague. He would swap the furnace, add a coil on top and install a 4 ton condenser outside. He seemed to like using Goodman products; GMH8100, ZAPF4860C, and GSX1348 respectively.

The second totally took me by surprise. He wanted nothing to do with adding a coil above the furnace and was adamant about installing everything in the attic and running duct to the upstairs rooms. The two bedrooms downstairs would need a duct run down an upstairs wall (which are brand new from the kitchen remodel I'm wrapping up) but could at least be done at a later date. No word on price or specific products, he was going to work up a list. We were also talking about a furnace swap and variable speed units and so on, just that I would need a 3.5 ton unit.

I do have the usual drastic temp difference that comes with this style home. I think that the second option might be the way to go, but I'm not sure. I bet it will be way more expensive, but I would like a comfortable home.

Would the attic install be the correct way to cool my home? I have talked to no one who has even hinted about doing a heat loss calc or anything similar to that. I am aware of the program you can buy, but I think the 2 month lifespan is a little silly.

Sounds like you need to keep looking for a good contractor. At a guess, 3.5 to 4 tons for 2100 sq ft in Joisey seems excessive. Could end up cool but damp.

Is there not runs to all the rooms on the 2nd level now?

I guess so. Why would it end up damp?

There are vents in all rooms up and down for the forced air, but they are all down low... not beneficial for cooling.

Oversized A/Cs short cycle, running only a few minutes at a time, especially in milder weather. On many systems it can take over 10 minutes of running to reach dehumidifcation levels. If you have a big unit not running a lot, it will cool but not remove moisture leaving the space rather damp.

Oversized units cool the temp down too fast. So hey don't run long enough to remove enough moisture. So you end up with high humidity.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Ok thanks for the explanation.

Which method is the norm for adding AC to a home like this? I dont want to be taken for a ride, nor do I want to drop 6-8k on a system that will not give me what I want.

I think I should at least do or have a heat loss calc done to get the correct sized equipment and keep getting quotes.

Omega..........when you say a 2,100 sq. ft. bi-level home, I picture a split foyer. Is part of the 2,100 sq. ft. partially underground?

Walk in front door to landing. Up is kitchen/dining/living/3 bedrooms and a bath. Down is family/2 bedrooms and another bath. Was my terminology wrong?

No, you have what I pictured. Tell your dealers you won't buy from them without seeing a heat gain calc justifying the big A/C.

Quote Originally Posted by OmegaWS6 View Post
    Walk in front door to landing. Up is kitchen/dining/living/3 bedrooms and a bath. Down is family/2 bedrooms and another bath. Was my terminology wrong?
    We call it a split foyer in my neck of the woods. My point is to better understand the A/C requirements. If the home has 1,050 sq. ft. up and the same down, the A/C size should be closer to 2-2.5 tons.

Does your home have a walk out lower level? Is the garage attached?

800 Cooling Degree Days
    5200 Heating Degree Days
    So, the xx degree days tell you the Relative importance

It's difficult-to-impossible to imagine what the original duct work for the furnace is and
    whether it's close to adequate for a 3 or 3.5 ton A/C unit.

http://www.climate-zone.com/climate/...-city-airport/
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Quote Originally Posted by dan sw fl View Post
    800 Cooling Degree Days
    5200 Heating Degree Days
    So, the xx degree days tell you the Relative importance

It's difficult-to-impossible to imagine what the original duct work for the furnace is and
    whether it's close to adequate for a 3 or 3.5 ton A/C unit.

http://www.climate-zone.com/climate/...-city-airport/
    I hope that you meant to say hours...........or you year has more days than mine.............lol.

Quote Originally Posted by George2 View Post
    I hope that you meant to say hours...........or you year has more days than mine.............lol.
    He meant days. It doesn't refer to the actual amount of days in a year.

1 heating degree day is 64 degrees for 24 hours. Each additional degree under 65 for 24 hours is an additional heating degree day.

Check out Manual J.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast