tcont800 circulate mode

Anyone recall how long the tcont800 (maximum amount/hr) runs the fan when in circulate mode?

Seem to remember hotline folks telling me there was some algorithm based on how long the unit ran/hour or something?

It is around 20 minutes per hour, but it deducts cooling and heating run times from it.

Don't sit there with a stopwatch timing it though, the thermostat knows when you are doing such nonsense and will intentionally screw with you just for fun.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by mark beiser View Post
    It is around 20 minutes per hour, but it deducts cooling and heating run times from it.

Don't sit there with a stopwatch timing it though, the thermostat knows when you are doing such nonsense and will intentionally screw with you just for fun.

You've got a great memory!

hotline said circulate will run fan upwards of 35 percent of the schedule period minus runtime which is around 20 minutes if unit is inactive.

Too bad unit is not fully digital and quiet as each hour it clicks to engage the fan just like it does during cooling/heating. Any idea which component in the unit is making the noise?

Quote Originally Posted by sam_hikes View Post
    You've got a great memory!

hotline said circulate will run fan upwards of 35 percent of the schedule period minus runtime which is around 20 minutes if unit is inactive.

Too bad unit is not fully digital and quiet as each hour it clicks to engage the fan just like it does during cooling/heating. Any idea which component in the unit is making the noise?
    The clicking is caused by the relays inside there which switch on & off the control signals to the furnace. The clicking is actually the sign of a quality thermostat and relay. The only way you'd be able to get rid of that would be to put in a cheap stat which uses triacs (not recommended) or get the Honeywell VisionPro IAQ which looks identical to the stat you have now, but uses 3 control wires to a remote-relay unit which gets mounted near the furnace. I'd highly recommend the IAQ. They've made quite a few improvements upon the original VisionPro series.

Honeywell VisionPro IAQ

Thanks so much for the info...

Any particular model of Honeywell VisionPro IAQ or are they all silent?

What is different compared to my touch screen model?

Does Trane offer them?

Do they work with Trane xl14i single stage heatpumps?
    Quote Originally Posted by tpa-fl View Post
    The clicking is caused by the relays inside there which switch on & off the control signals to the furnace. The clicking is actually the sign of a quality thermostat and relay. The only way you'd be able to get rid of that would be to put in a cheap stat which uses triacs (not recommended) or get the Honeywell VisionPro IAQ which looks identical to the stat you have now, but uses 3 control wires to a remote-relay unit which gets mounted near the furnace. I'd highly recommend the IAQ. They've made quite a few improvements upon the original VisionPro series.

Thanks so much for the info...

Any particular model of Honeywell VisionPro IAQ or are they all silent?

What is different compared to my touch screen model?

Does Trane offer them?

Do they work with Trane xl14i single stage heatpumps?
    There's only one model of them out that I'm aware of. You'll need the thermostat and the "equipment interface module". The thermostat is what is mounted on the wall, with the equipment interface module being the box full of relays that gets mounted near the furnace.

More info on it: http://www.hotfreshcool.com/Product/...0IAQ17F9AC.pdf

I think you'll find that it's exactly like your Trane touchscreen (which is just a relabelled Honeywell 8000 series). FWIW, those beige rectangles inside the equipment interface module are the relays, same ones you currently have in your thermostat that make the clicking noises.

They're not currently available with a Trane sticker on the front, but your dealer should be able to get ahold of them. They'll work with just about any system currently out there. And if you ask your Trane dealer really nicely, they might be able to find a Trane sticker to cover up the Honeywell logo if it bothers you.

No furnace here... split system xl14i heatpump

Doc I saw looks about the same as my new touch screen series tstat but with IAQ stuff which I can't use. ( no IAQ besides 5" media )

Seems a shame they use noisy relays in the others but are all the visionpro models quiet?

Thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by tpa-fl View Post
    There's only one model of them out that I'm aware of. You'll need the thermostat and the "equipment interface module". The thermostat is what is mounted on the wall, with the equipment interface module being the box full of relays that gets mounted near the furnace.

More info on it: http://www.hotfreshcool.com/Product/...0IAQ17F9AC.pdf

I think you'll find that it's exactly like your Trane touchscreen (which is just a relabelled Honeywell 8000 series). FWIW, those beige rectangles inside the equipment interface module are the relays, same ones you currently have in your thermostat that make the clicking noises.

They're not currently available with a Trane sticker on the front, but your dealer should be able to get ahold of them. They'll work with just about any system currently out there. And if you ask your Trane dealer really nicely, they might be able to find a Trane sticker to cover up the Honeywell logo if it bothers you.

No furnace here... split system xl14i heatpump

Doc I saw looks about the same as my new touch screen series tstat but with IAQ stuff which I can't use. ( no IAQ besides 5" media )

Seems a shame they use noisy relays in the others but are all the visionpro models quiet?

Thank you.
    IAQ also applies to humidity control, which is something just about every house can use. Dehumidifcation is key to comfort in the hot season (unless you're out in Arizona/Nevada). If you have a variable-speed air handler, then you would really stand to benefit from one of these. Even if you don't have a variable-speed air handler, a knowledgeable tech can rig a standard air handler to a 2-speed system, using a fan relay, a thermal expansion valve, multi-stage stat (or dehumidistat) and some creative wiring. This method actually works quite well.

As far as the other VisionPro stats go (8000 series), hate to tell you but they're basically the same as the Trane stat you have on the wall now, clicky relays and all. I have a TH8321 on my wall here. Love it, but I do notice the clicking. That said, my current AC system is 62dB(A) loud when running, so the clicking relays aren't as much of an issue. For reference, my vacuum cleaner is quieter, 54dB(A).

The loudness of the click of the relay is just a function of the quality of the relay. The larger the capacity of the relay, the louder the click will be. Honeywell has chosen to use larger relays for better reliability. Keep in mind they have a 5 year warranty on these stats whereas most other thermostats only have a 90-day or 1 year warranty. They could use smaller relays, but then they'd be paying out $$$ for all of the stats which fail before the 5 year period is up.