Thread: Air handler height.

Post Likes

Air handler height.

Hope I'm not out of line by asking this. I'm having a home inspection in Tallahassee and the a/c is a concern to me. It is a York AHX42D3XH21A. In the closet the air filter is about 6" off the ground. Unit is in a closet. When the solid door is closed the only return is from 24x24 inch grill in the wall.

Air filter used is reserve pro 15x20x5. I haven't seen these before.

Is it normal to have the air handler so low to the floor. It seems to me like something is not done right. BTW, there was permit pulled for this.

My main concern is the height of the unit. Seems too close to the ground along with not enough construction. But I'm no expert. Just wanted your opinion.

As always. Thanks in advance.

Joe

Post Likes
    Could you post a pic? Include a way for us to see how air flow is choked down with door closed.

Are you sure the filter isn't 20x25x5? Post a pic of how the filter fits the unit if it really is a 15x20

Post Likes
    You're correct . It's 20x25x5. I"ll post pics later today. Thanks.

Post Likes
    Name:  IMG_0536.jpg
Views: 1941
Size:  40.0 KB
    Name:  IMG_0537.jpg
Views: 2075
Size:  38.8 KB
    Name:  IMG_0538.jpg
Views: 1935
Size:  34.6 KB
    Name:  IMG_0539.jpg
Views: 3882
Size:  37.0 KB

These were the pictures I was able to take. I'll be able to return on Wednesday if you guys need additional pictures.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks...

Post Likes
    Not real impressed with that job in general and the air will be turbulent down there but I have seen worse (in regards to filter location) as far as workmanship it looks ...well...like a typical quicky I see around here.

Post Likes
    In order to work at its maximum potential, the unit should be raised? Do you think removing be solid door and installing a louvered door may help increase flow?

I was thinking if moving the system to an area were a plenum could be make going straight into the attic. At this time, the plenum/round flex is squeezed between a the wall and truss.

BTW, what's the minimun height the air handler should have? Someone told me 24" from floor.

Thanks...

Post Likes
    A louvred door would help . I don't think it has to have 24" . If you could increase it to 12-18 . And yes if the flex is pinched in there that would also be an upgrade.

Post Likes
    This is the Ask Our Pro's forum, and only Pro members that have been vetted by the AOPC may post advise, commentary, or ask questions of the OP here.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Further infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Last edited by beenthere; 07-30-2013 at 05:48 AM. Reason: Non Pro * member

Post Likes
    This was discovered during a home inspection. Going to try and use this information as leverage to lower the price some..

Post Likes
    andhereweare, this is the Ask Our Pro's forum, and only Pro members that have been vetted by the AOPC may post advise, commentary or ask questions of the OP here.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Your post has been deleted.
    Further infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.

Post Likes
    Love the "X-RAY vision" register above unit. I couldn't close my eyes at night if I did work like that.
    It's not what you're capable of doing that defines you, it's what you do on a daily basis.

Post Likes
    Believe it or not thats open to the attic. Pulling hot air when it turns on. The home use to have a hole house fan. Above door and wall grills are open to the attic. That unit must never turn off. Temp at the above door grill is 125*.

Just below the grill is drywall ceiling. Only a/c plunum going through it. Seems like a nightmare.

Now i have to get estimates to have it installed correctly. Hope the seller drops the price on the home.

Post Likes
    I guess that explains why they had to install it so low. If you end up getting the house look us up on the AOP map - I would love to be able to redo the job for you with a quality touch.

Post Likes
    Just looked one up on the map. Hope they get back to me tomorrow.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in