Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Goodman units

Goodman units

Ok, is Goodman a good brand or peice of crap? I install lennox units but would like to install a cheaper unit for my mother because of her budget. Just put in a Lennox G40 gas furnace for her and need to upgraid ac unit because of age and Efficiency, but would like to keep current R22 lennox coil. Scroll compressor used??

removed...did not want to give the wrong idea out...my apologies.
    Last edited by BigJon3475; 04-24-2007 at 01:52 PM.

I think they are crap, but that's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by rickwm228 View Post
    .Just put in a Lennox G40 gas furnace for her .
    You just installed a "LEMMOX" furnace and you worried about a Goodman unit?
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

That seems to be a common theme on here. I asked on the other thread why.....still waiting on an answer. I think the install is a big part of it also make sure you do all the "anal" things when you put it in I don't see why it wouldn't last past it's warranty period...The ones on my property are from 1992 and they are just now starting to poop out. But thats probably mostly from poor maintenance over the years.

Well im extremely anal when it comes to my work practices. Just trying to look for a cheaper brand. I was quoted by my salesman $XX for a 2.5 ton lennox.. Was thinking maybe i could get a goodman from RSD for cheeper.
    Last edited by jrbenny; 04-24-2007 at 08:51 AM. Reason: removed pricing...try reading the rules

we install about 300 systems a year in new construction homes and i am here to tell that Goodman has come light years with there equipment just in the past 2 years. the older equipment with the bristol compressors had to be gone through and tape and insulate wires. they are a lot beter than they used to be, now with scrools they than can do some work and new condensers are desighned better. not to mention the new 10 year warranty, and the 2 stage gas valve and board is pretty cool too. they ALL have scrolls. i love goodman. im beefing with ferguson right now over prices can you believe that johnstone has better prices than them and they have every B-number part in stock here.
    Right on....

Think of Goodman as a Chevy or basic Ford. No frills, just does the essentials. I'll agree with techace79, they've come a LONG way in terms of quality. BUT, the biggest enemy to Goodman's reputation is that they allow them to be sold to just anyone. No refrigeration certification, no licenses, no experience needed to buy them. Compare this to most of the other brand names which are usually sold through distributors which only sell to contractors. The quality of the install (or lack thereof) is what determines how well the system works (performance and efficiency) and how reliable it will be. HVAC equipment is much like a paintbrush. You can put a paintbrush in the hands of a 2-year old, a teenager, or a life-long craftsman. You'll probably have to pay more to get it in the hands of the craftsman, but you're stuck with the end results.

The home I just bought has a Goodman in it... and yes, it appears to be poorly-installed. No permits pulled. Chances are whoever installed it doesn't even do HVAC work during the day. While it's a few years old, there are NO high/low pressure safety switches in the Goodman heat pump. They just depend upon the compressor to overheat and hope the overheat thermostat inside the compressor works.

i cant remember all of the ones that are the new style but i know some of them have low pressure switches now. iwould love to see goodman put both in. i also believe that not just anybody can buy them. you have to have HVAC license to buy, and a refrig lcense to vacume and charge or reclaim. i walk in these supply houses and the older techs give me a hard time because i am young and only in for four years but they know and respesct my work ethic and love my dad. he has subed a lot of changeouts, service and maint to these guys for a long time. so at least for me i am here to stay no matter what. I started crawling at 11 in the summer time. everybody has to start somewhere and i am very fortanate that my dad gave me the oppertunity to start a truck. i was able to break even after 6 months of solo work. i broke alot of stuff while fixing it in the begining but i got it together now. just wanted to let tpa-fl and any body else that i am not just anybody. i have worked hard to be a service tech and waited from high school till 23 running duct work asking and asking and asking until he said ok sorry for rambleing
    Right on....

This is for your Mom? She deserves the best and you should not charge her a dime. Remember she put up with all your crap over the years. LOL Give her the best equiptment and the best install. Give her a kiss and a hug and tell her thanks for all she has done for you. Just my opinion.

"BUT, the biggest enemy to Goodman's reputation is that they allow them to be sold to just anyone. No refrigeration certification, no licenses, no experience needed to buy them."

The restriction excludes refrigerant contained in refrigerators or air conditioners with fully assembled refrigerant circuits (such as household refrigerators, window air conditioners, and packaged air conditioners), pure HFC refrigerants (such as R-134a), and CFCs or HCFCs that are not intended for use as refrigerants. In addition, a restriction on sale of pre-charged split systems has been stayed (suspended) while EPA reconsiders this provision.

Just something I was thinking about when I saw you post that. Not saying it's right or wrong but right now it's not illegal or anything.

So, what's your point?
    Perhaps you should have read the instructions before calling.

Hmm

Quote Originally Posted by jrbenny View Post
    So, what's your point?

so whats your point of him not having a point since when did you have to have a point to ramble on here....
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast