Sub-Cooling Air Cooled Condensing Units Using Condensate Water

Hi All,

Good day! I have VRF multi-split air-conditinoing system, 36HP with 12 (3 HP) connected FCU's.
    Philippines is a tropical country, and I'm thinking to collect all FCU condensate to serve as water spray to sub-cooled condensing unit.

Is their any negative effect? Scale? or issue if I do this? I'm only thinking on energy conservation through sub-cooling condernser using waste condensate.

Regards,
    Morzy

The only issue I can think of would be the cost to collect the condensate and then get it back to the condenser. Aside from that, there isn't anything in the condensate that would negatively impact the condensing coil. You'll have whatever contaminants that are in the airstream that will "grow" under the right conditions, but proper maintenance of the condenser coil will take care of that.

thanks for the information. Greatly appreciated.

cheers!

Just a guess but I'd say the rust, rot, and contamination would lead to premature retirement of the equipment. Would a shortened lifespan cost more then any efficiency gained? Probably. Window unit which are of little value do what your asking but I don't know of any quality VRF system selling for 1 or 2 hundred bucks.

Also, spraying the whole coil isn't required for subcooling, just the last stretch where the ref is in a liquid state.

More energy value with "change of state". Condesate turns to water vapor or refrigerant turning from gas to liquid rather then just subcooling refrigerant. If energy saving is your ultimate goal.

Remember that too much subcooling may cause TXV not to operate as designed. Also, set CFM to throttle down to save energy. Better to use condesate to be primary cooling for condesor and use energy using CFM if subcooling still needed.