Question Another compressor question.

WI cooler outdoors. 10*10*8 outer diameters. Evap coil Russell AA28-106 B . 1 ton r22 TXV..On a AWG 4520 EXNXC condensing unit the AWG 5520 EXN compressor went bad.I replaced it with an AWG 4520 EXN compressor.(actually I did it twice,because the first new compressor was DOA.(I learned what DOA means today )
    the Question is two fold.Why 5520 compressor on a 4420 condensing unit?(It looked like original equipment).
    I checked capacities etc.It looks to me that that condensing unit will be okey for that box.But,
    Why a high temp unit,even though it gives the capacity for this box? Any downside to it?

condenser model doesnt always match comp model - if you went comp for comp you did ok -- i forget the exact reasoning, but the cond # has different meanings than the comp #

Tecumseh's model number codes are essentially the same for both their commercial refrigeration condensing units and their compressors with the exception of a couple of extra letters at the end of the unit M/N designating specific unit options.

The first two letters designate the compressor family and the third letter is for the generation. The first digit designates the application temperature range, in your case "4" on the unit indicates that the unit is rated as a high temp, 45 Deg F and high starting torque (w/start relay and start cap).

The first digit on your compressor, "5", indicates that it's rated as an A/C compressor....also 45 Deg F, but with normal starting torque (no start relay or cap).

They have a note on the model code list that states "Application "5" compressors when applied to units becomes application "4" in the unit's model number".

I think they do that just to confuse us.

Quote Originally Posted by icemeister View Post
    They have a note on the model code list that states "Application "5" compressors when applied to units becomes application "4" in the unit's model number".
    I remembered that statement after I read your reply.I called one supplyhouse engineer that for some reason always has this arrogant attitude and told me yesterday that it was a mismatch.Maybe today I got his attention..