Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

"Why can't we find any good technicians?"

Am i supposed to be surprised so many companies complain they have trouble running their business?

It doesn't take much effort to get the HVAC gurus to talk about the time they destroyed the customer's house, or blew up a unit.

These days, companies place so much pressure on technicians, it's not even worth being in the business unless you are working for yourself.

Companies really believe they are going to hire a technician and he's going to be flawless on repair and paperwork when he arrives.
    ...then when summer is over they are going to say "C-ya" and hire another flawless person the next year.
    It's not going to happen.

Somewhere , some suit decided that their company will not pay for any learning curve.
    That doesn't work in HVAC because every day is a learning curve.
    You can't just keep firing people who want to be technicians over little reasons.

The two biggest complains about my performance have been "Taking too long to complete a job" ...which is because, in the HVAC trade, everything needs to be done yesterday, AND , "Too many call-backs".
    What's the definition of too many call-backs?
    One ! .
    (At Sears i was calculated at a 9% call-back rate, which was the lowest in my group, and i was the only local tech to meet their requirements)
    The ironic part is, my call-backs usually generate more money.

Since i've been employed in this business, the average HVAC job has lasted 8 months to 2 years.
    Home loans are 30 years. Who wants to worry about finding a job all the time?

I recently looked on Facebook to find the guy who was #1 in my trade school class.
    He had higher test scores than me !!!
    ...nearly 100%
    He's not even in this business anymore, after trade school he worked at a couple of HVAC companies then decided he needed to go to college.

Back when i was working security, other than wishing i earned more money, i didn't have a care in the world.
    I spent most of my day talking to girls.
    I have to ask which job is better.
    Now i'm doing all this super hero work, running up and down buildings, screwing around with 240+ electricity, and not appreciated for my skills.
    I earned $1900 per month working security and the jobs lasted 3 to 4 years, now i earn 18+OT per hour, and every month seems like it will be my last.
    If i work a higher paying HVAC job for 8 months, it comes out to the same as working security for 1 year.(minus job security)

You're always looking for commercial techs because you refuse to train apprentices.
    I've been reading want ads for HVAC in Los Angeles for 5 years, and i've never seen anyone hiring for an entry level commercial tech.

...and for those managers who hire people based on "sizing them up" at the job interview, it's not working.
    I'ts too easy to fool you.
    You should rely more on testing.

It seems to me, every employer wants a tech with a minimum of 5 years experience, but can't find any, because all the applicants are fresh out of school with little experience.

It also seems like most people that gradate technical school with a degree in hvac, have a hard time finding a job, because all the employers want 5 years experience.

Most of the guys I've worked with, and even some service managers, are just parts changers. Most are not interested in the physics of what we do. We all come to this site to enhance our education, but how many of us will be recognized, never mind compensated, by our employers for additional skills we bring to the table?

When i graduated trade school i was very lucky to find a company that had a training program, but what really helped me was i moved and the company thought i would have a better education than their local trade school graduates.

New techs should always apply for unions.

Some sales companies will hire techs without experience so they can train them fore sales

Some sales companies will hire techs without experience so they can train them fore sales

Agreed.

The hardest part of finding "good technicians" is finding someone who gives a damn.
    I can train someone who gives a damn, but if they don't, no amount of training in the world will make them a "good technician."

Quote Originally Posted by wolfstrike View Post
    Since i've been employed in this business, the average HVAC job has lasted 8 months to 2 years.
    Home loans are 30 years. Who wants to worry about finding a job all the time?
    Have you ever considered that the one thing in common with all of your problems is.....you.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike19 View Post
    It seems to me, every employer wants a tech with a minimum of 5 years experience, but can't find any, because all the applicants are fresh out of school with little experience.

It also seems like most people that gradate technical school with a degree in hvac, have a hard time finding a job, because all the employers want 5 years experience.
    This was the vicious cycle I was in until I landed a "peon" job where I work now and took the ball and ran with it. Without the help of this site, I'd still be the same tech I was 6 years ago by doing everything wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by ryan1088 View Post
    This was the vicious cycle I was in until I landed a "peon" job where I work now and took the ball and ran with it. Without the help of this site, I'd still be the same tech I was 6 years ago by doing everything wrong.
    Good post Ryan. The folks on this site have provided a lot of useful information.

This was the vicious cycle I was in until I landed a "peon" job where I work now and took the ball and ran with it.
    I couldn't agree more. When I was 19 I applied at a lot of places. Finally one hired me, it too was a "peon" job, but I took initiative, worked hard, learned all I could, and I am where I am today.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike19 View Post
    I couldn't agree more. When I was 19 I applied at a lot of places. Finally one hired me, it too was a "peon" job, but I took initiative, worked hard, learned all I could, and I am where I am today.
    It also helped that I bs'd my way into it. :grin:

It also helped that I bs'd my way into it. :grin:
    Me too...

If you're new to HVAC , fake it 'til u make it!

There's a few install and service techs that have been at my company a while. That being said its been like a revolving door lately. every new guy I've met says they can do it all and then it turns out they can't, or they know their stuff but are just hacks and don't care. We call the new guys heroes cause they always sell them selves in the interview.
    It sucks especially being in my shoes, still learning the trade and having to work with one of these guys and double check their work, sometimes correcting issues. Makes me look like a know it all when all I'm trying to do is learn and take pride in my work

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast