Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Defective copper elbow?

I was looking for a leak on a rooftop condenser and the leak was in what appeared to be a hairline crack in the elbow next to the compressor. I brazed the crack and filled the system with the nitrogen left in the bottle to about 20 lbs. then proceeded to pull a vacuum and the low side pulled down to about -15 lbs PSIG. I obviously should have been better prepared but I figured all was well so I charged the system with R22 and the elbow split on a completely different spot than the original leak. I proceeded to close the king valves and by the grace of god I lost hardly any refrigerant. Anyway, has anyone else experienced any factory defective copper fittings or could it have been something else?

Quote Originally Posted by WMG View Post
    I was looking for a leak on a rooftop condenser and the leak was in what appeared to be a hairline crack in the elbow next to the compressor. I brazed the crack and filled the system with the nitrogen left in the bottle to about 20 lbs. then proceeded to pull a vacuum and the low side pulled down to about -15 lbs PSIG. I obviously should have been better prepared but I figured all was well so I charged the system with R22 and the elbow split on a completely different spot than the original leak. I proceeded to close the king valves and by the grace of god I lost hardly any refrigerant. Anyway, has anyone else experienced any factory defective copper fittings or could it have been something else?
    Yes it happens, had it a few time's now (probably will get more common..... china)

Quote Originally Posted by garychance View Post
    Yes it happens, had it a few time's now (probably will get more common..... china)
    And to think how making all this cheap crap from overseas is going to hit Americans where it hurts. In the pocketbook.

china yes sirs

or vietnam

I've seen quite a few. I have not had luck welding crack (it always leaks again). I just replace elbow now.

Quote Originally Posted by socotech View Post
    I've seen quite a few. I have not had luck welding crack (it always leaks again). I just replace elbow now.
    X2, any crack needs to be cut out and replaced with a new fitting or piece of copper. The crack just keeps on moving.

Quote Originally Posted by socotech View Post
    Agreed.

We had a ruud crack on the heat port 4 times. always completely out of gas on a Friday after hours and tech did not know the whole history. I was there once before i got sent back to replace it and i was able to get it to pull down to 550 microns. So called it good. Talked to ruud tech support he said once it cracks replace it because the line is stressed and will continue to crack down the line. Replace it.
    Then a two weeks later leak on the four way valve. replaced four way valve. Haven't been over to that house since (a month) thank god. Talked to ruud they are going to give the customer a new unit. But we have to install it free of charge.

Not a big fan of a Ruud A Dudd

Maybe a cheap tech used ordinary plumbing fittings instead of the stuff that is actually designed for the pressure?

Quote Originally Posted by NiHaoMike View Post
    Maybe a cheap tech used ordinary plumbing fittings instead of the stuff that is actually designed for the pressure?
    its the same stuff, just dif in long or short sweep, the wall thickness is the same (type L)

I will agree on the cracked component having to be replaced but "puncture" wounds can usually be repaired.
    Quote Originally Posted by jtrammel View Post
    X2, any crack needs to be cut out and replaced with a new fitting or piece of copper. The crack just keeps on moving.

It was a fitting and not bend in pipe?

I've seen several Westinghouse w/cracks in bent tubing off comp. Believe combination of stress from manufacture and vibration from comp. I make the loop longer when fix that.
    Col 3:23

questions asked, answers received, ignorance abated

Quote Originally Posted by garychance View Post
    its the same stuff, just dif in long or short sweep, the wall thickness is the same (type L)
    Isn't part of the reason for rounding it out more is to spread out the stress so it withstands pressure better?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast