Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do I really need to replace the whole AC?

Post Likes
    I just thought I'd post a follow-up. I got a 2nd opinion today. I didn't say a word about the 1st guy who came out and as he was looking at the system he told me I didn't need new equipment. He did put a can of something in to fix the leak which he assumed I had and then put in 1.2 pounds of R22. He did offer to let me watch him weigh it, but I didn't bother and since he only charged me for 1.2 pounds I figure he probably wasn't lying to me.

The stop-leak stuff was the largest part of the bill, and I'm not sure if that was a good idea or not, but I got it anyway even though it seemed expensive. If it prevents another service call, I figure it's money well spent.

He didn't really push to test for leaks, but he said it started at 1/3 the cost of the first guy and the R22 was only 58% of the price the first guy said.

Before he even hooked his gauges up to test the pressure in the system, he checked the humidity coming out of the vents and he also hooked a thermometer to the return line from the coils, neither of which the first guy did.

As he was totalling up my bill, I told him about the first guy to come out. He was kind of astounded and wondered how they stay in business. Like I told him for someone who doesn't know anything about ACs like me, if I had a ton of money I might have fallen for the sales pitch.

I kind of wonder too. Just because I've already sunk the cost of a service call doesn't mean I can or will go for a completely new system. Even though I actually could afford a new system, I was seriously considering just putting it off until the spring anyway. There's only one more month of actual heat here anyway and I've lived i much hotter climates. I even survived a summer in Houston with no AC in my car.

It's cooling quite well now and I just checked the coils. There a little moisture from condensation, but no ice. Thanks again for all your input.

Post Likes
    sounds like a good tech except i disagree on the fix a flat leak sealer .hope the compressor does not lock up

Post Likes
    I used leak repair sealer on a tinY pin hole that I found on txv distrbtor tube leak on 3/16th tube and it DIDNT work.This was a tiny leak cause by tubes rubbing. If leak sealer cant fix that small of a hole I will never use the stuff again.

Post Likes
    bwd111

Please check your Private Messages and review the AOP Forum rules.

Thanks,

AOPC

Post Likes

stop leak?

you might need to get ready for a bigger bill.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us.

Two pressures, four temperatures = SUCCESS!

Boulder Heating Contractor

For Consumers:

For HVACR Professionals:

Post Likes
    As many before have stated, two things belong in a condenser: refrigerant and oil. A good tech will locate the leak and tell you your options to fix it.

Post Likes
    I just read this thread from start to finish (so far)

1) the first tech smells like a scam, and the odor is STRONG. selling a system based on low side pressure with a iced up coil is pure BS.

2) the second guy may not be a fraud, but I would disagree with anybody that would use any of the stop leak products, especially in such a flagrant and careless manner.

I wish I could help you, but you are well outside my normal service area.

Suggestion: You need to choose contractors more carefully. You assume competence and good character when both seem in short supply.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us.

Two pressures, four temperatures = SUCCESS!

Boulder Heating Contractor

For Consumers:

For HVACR Professionals:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in