Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jtrammel View Post
    Could need 1lb or could need 10lbs, its hard to guess. The only way to know for sure is to recover whats left, weigh it then calculate how much it needs per manufactures charge weight plus line set length. I'd advise you to get a second opinion, sounds like you got a sales tech rather than an hvac tech.
    Hi Jtrammell, gotta question for you. Why not just weigh the drum before and after you fill up the system? Recovering the whole charge and weighing in a new charge seems like a lot of time and work on a undercharge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Life is like a jar of jalapenos. What you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.

6 lbs does seem like a lot. I've only been to a few houses this year that needed that much.

Life is like a jar of jalapenos. What you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.

I was implying that its not practical to do all that just so you can tell the customer that its X lbs low and will be X$ to add tge additional charge. Its impossible to know how much until you either recover and weigh or charge by SH/SC then tell the customer it ended up taking XX lbs and will be $$$. You can make an educated guess based on factory charge and line length and pressures AFTER the coil is thawed but its still just a guess and could be +\- a lot depending on the size of the system.

Oh ok. Sorry I had misunderstood. Happens a lot in text.

once its thawed out make sure the filter is clean and start it back up see how well it cools .a leaking lennox evaporator coil would not be uncommon although i would want to be sure
    We really need change now

Quote Originally Posted by ryan1088 View Post
    We may have a member from this site that might be close to you, in many of the guys' signatures there is a link to a map.
    I put my zipcode into the locator thingy and it looks like the closest person here is down in Boulder. I'm in Fort Collins. Since I don't have a better way to pick someone for a 2nd opinion I'm willing to accept suggestions. I do take internet reviews with a grain of salt though. Bad reviews are often just people with an axe to grind and good reviews I always suspect of being shills.

Just a couple more questions.

The tech said that if I tried to run my AC while low on coolant I could damage it more. Is that true?

And the more difficult question, if I do have a leak how big is it? Yeah, I know you can't say for sure, but if I only lose an ounce a month that's not too bad IMO and it might be worth refilling it. OTOH, if I lose a pound a week then I probably ought to consider replacing the AC. Which seems more likely? I know you can't say for sure if I have a slow leak or a catastrophic one over the internet. I'm just wondering what in your experience is more likely.

In the meantime, this fan I picked up at the store is doing an okay job at keeping me cool, but I'm starting to get annoyed with how loud it is. And how direct it is.

running a unit low on refrigerant can cause the compressor to run warmer than it should due to not having the proper super heat to cool the compressor .call around and find someone to check the unitwith a leak detector .if the unit froze up it still has some refrigerant in it

I just thought I'd post a follow-up. I got a 2nd opinion today. I didn't say a word about the 1st guy who came out and as he was looking at the system he told me I didn't need new equipment. He did put a can of something in to fix the leak which he assumed I had and then put in 1.2 pounds of R22. He did offer to let me watch him weigh it, but I didn't bother and since he only charged me for 1.2 pounds I figure he probably wasn't lying to me.

The stop-leak stuff was the largest part of the bill, and I'm not sure if that was a good idea or not, but I got it anyway even though it seemed expensive. If it prevents another service call, I figure it's money well spent.

He didn't really push to test for leaks, but he said it started at 1/3 the cost of the first guy and the R22 was only 58% of the price the first guy said.

Before he even hooked his gauges up to test the pressure in the system, he checked the humidity coming out of the vents and he also hooked a thermometer to the return line from the coils, neither of which the first guy did.

As he was totalling up my bill, I told him about the first guy to come out. He was kind of astounded and wondered how they stay in business. Like I told him for someone who doesn't know anything about ACs like me, if I had a ton of money I might have fallen for the sales pitch.

I kind of wonder too. Just because I've already sunk the cost of a service call doesn't mean I can or will go for a completely new system. Even though I actually could afford a new system, I was seriously considering just putting it off until the spring anyway. There's only one more month of actual heat here anyway and I've lived i much hotter climates. I even survived a summer in Houston with no AC in my car.

It's cooling quite well now and I just checked the coils. There a little moisture from condensation, but no ice. Thanks again for all your input.

sounds like a good tech except i disagree on the fix a flat leak sealer .hope the compressor does not lock up

I used leak repair sealer on a tinY pin hole that I found on txv distrbtor tube leak on 3/16th tube and it DIDNT work.This was a tiny leak cause by tubes rubbing. If leak sealer cant fix that small of a hole I will never use the stuff again.

stop leak?

you might need to get ready for a bigger bill.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us.

Two pressures, four temperatures = SUCCESS!

Boulder Heating Contractor

For Consumers:

For HVACR Professionals:

As many before have stated, two things belong in a condenser: refrigerant and oil. A good tech will locate the leak and tell you your options to fix it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast