Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    If the flex is large enough to handle the Cfm and its installed right, I don't see a problem with it.

I've had contractors come to me after I bid a job that specs out hard pipe with 6 ft of flex. They ask what we can do to trim the bid. It's always switching to all flex. We've never had a problem with it.

Also, I've done hundreds of what we call "burnouts" for insurance companies. Always bid flex. I know a lot of pros hate it, but its everywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Life is like a jar of jalapenos. What you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum, and only Pro members that have been vetted by the AOPC may post advise, commentary, or ask questions of the OP here.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Further infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Last edited by beenthere; 07-29-2013 at 05:02 PM. Reason: Non Pro * member

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum, and only Pro members that have been vetted by the AOPC may post advise, commentary, or ask questions of the OP here.

Last edited by beenthere; 07-29-2013 at 05:02 PM. Reason: Non Pro * member

Lobstergolf, this is the Ask Our Pro's forum, and only Pro members that have been vetted by the AOPC may post advise, commentary or ask questions of the OP here.

Your post has been deleted.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

topdoc, this is the Ask Our Pro's forum, and only Pro members that have been vetted by the AOPC may post advise, commentary or ask questions of the OP here.

Your post has been deleted.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

As stated earlier, the IMC doesn't restrict the length. Typically the length is specified in the drawings and project documents.

If there is an architect involved then I would assume that there are building/project drawings and specifications involved - have your friend review them and see if there is anything listed. If it isn't specified, then the default is the IMC and local building codes.

Bottom line is the flexible duct can be installed correctly and not affect the airflow in a negative manner.

Quote Originally Posted by kirbinster View Post
    The runs of the flex look like between 15 and 20 feet each where roughly half of that is horizontal then there is what looks like 2" fiber cloth straps that hold the duct where it drop 90 degrees down to where the outlets will be.
    If I'm reading this correctly, the strap intervals are 7-10'(1/2 of 15-20)? Wire flex support intervals are 4' so your buddy either has the droopiest wireflex ducts in town or the ducts are alumaflex.

Alumaflex is a perfectly fine product for overhead areas( no traffic to crush the ducts). It's pretty routine around these parts to run the job in A/F and make the final terminations to the diffusers with W/F.

At startup of units have airflow verified. If CFMs are correct then ductwork is OK, if low airflow then it is time to figure out why.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12