Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    it is possible that the heat load is so high on the box and the ambient is so high that the refrigerant isn't condensing and that's why your getting bubbles in the sight glass. You could baby the unit and spray the condensor with water until the unit can keep up. If im wrong someone let me know just a thought. Could someone elaborate on pumping system down and running CFM to check for non condensables.

Quote Originally Posted by AllStateTech View Post
    . Could someone elaborate on pumping system down and running CFM to check for non condensables.
    Cool the refrigerant to ambient and measure the temp of the receiver. When the refrigerant is a known factor, you can compare the #'s to a PT chart. The receiver temp should equal the PT chart #'s
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Liberalism-Ideas so good they mandate them

sounds good to me, thanks just gotta find a unit to put it into practice.

When I got to the store today I hit the high pressure reset button to get the unit started. I sprayed water on the condenser to keep the unit cooled until it would bring the box down to temp. The condenser is cleaned out so I know it's not a dirty condenser. When the box got down to temp I took some readings. The high side pressure was extremely high, the low side was high, the superheat was high and the sub cooling was close to where it should be. The temp in my area has been hitting heat records for a sustained period of time. I'm going to recover the refrigerant, change the drier, check the TXV valve strainer, pull it into a vaccum and recharge it. I'm hoping its just non condensables or a restriction. Thanks guys for your input.

And the evaporator isn't froze up either.

If you we're over charged or restricted you would have high subcooling. That's key- if subcool is normal probably not restricted or overcharged.

Lack of airflow?how high is ambient?

did u actually power wash with chemical the coil or did you co2 it because I just got caught blowing one out and found after I washed it, I dropped 100 more psi and blew the heck out of it before
    also what is your box temp when your head is high, and does head drop at all when starting to cool, one more thing you need to check is the size of the compressor to the load, you maybe on the borderline, and once you cool the box down, it will stay cooled down, measure your temp difference across condenser as well, you could be dealing with multiple issues

My ambient is 95 to 98. The condenser is clean. Blew it out and washed it out. The head is high when it cools to box temp which is around 36

Either its over charged because of a restriction , or you simply dont have enough air going across that cond coil

is there a shroud

Quote Originally Posted by bigbucks View Post
    My ambient is 95 to 98. The condenser is clean. Blew it out and washed it out. The head is high when it cools to box temp which is around 36
    find out how much the reciever holds, recover the gas and weigh in the exact charge at your ambient, your supplier can give you the charge amount on the receiver at a certain ambient and type of refrigerant

one more thing, if the unit does not have enough fresh air around it, the heat will not move from that area and you need to put a floor fan on top to blow it away from the condenser, I have also put a bigger motor and larger pitch blade on a unit to get the head down and it worked, also moved the motor back out of the condenser more to get rid of the heat better even though there were not any holes for it, made my own, you got to do what you got to do and all this stuff solved my longtime issues

Open cooler are generally designed to be in a conditioned area no hotter than 78. At he ambient s you have condenser is undersized as well as compressor.

I changed the filter drier, checked the TXV, recovered the old refrigerant, dropped it into a vaccum and recharged the system with virgin r404. The system was working flawlessly. Since this is the first time I serviced this system I'm not sure what caused the non condensables and or restriction but its going. Thanks for the help.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast