Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tower Controls, stand alone

Trying to do condenser water reset with stand alone controls. Has anyone attempted this?

yes, its easy, what are you looking to do

Have a 2001 centravac, UCP2, that I would like to optimize. It is capable of handling below 60 degree water. There are no BAS controls in bldg. other than a time clock. I would like to reset based on OA wetbulb plus tower approach but do not want to add a complete BAS to get there.

What is controlling the towers now?
    "It's not that I'm smart, it's that I stay with the problem longer”
    Albert Einstein

VFD on tower fan has a pre programmed setpoint of 85 degrees.

I've done something similar with just one control module and a display that connects directly to the control module. I don't think you will find anything "out of the box" that will do what your wanting. The best bet is to call your favorite controls company, they should be able to do what your wanting fairly painlessly.
    "It's not that I'm smart, it's that I stay with the problem longer”
    Albert Einstein

60 degree condenser water sounds pretty cool. The chiller will shutdown if the water gets too cool. Been there.

80-85 degrees into the chiller, 90-95 out. Does the tower have some type of bypass?

Yes, there is a pneumatically operated bypass. I have no worries about the chiller handling the cold water. This machine was designed for it.

I would add some kind of small PLC with a display or with a display you could tie in to adjust as needed as X is saying.

The other option is depending on the drive you 'may' be able to utilize the drive's added inputs and logic to do this.
    "How it can be considered "Open" is beyond me. Calling it "voyeur-ed" would be more accurate." pka LeroyMac, SkyIsBlue, fka Freddy-B, Mongo, IndyBlue
    BIG Government = More Dependents
    "Any 'standard' would be great if it didn't get bastardised by corporate self interest." MatrixTransform
    http://threedevilskennel.com/ - not my website.
    Versatile Hunting Dog Federation - www.vhdf.org/

Came across one of those newer McQuays that have the magnetic bearing that float the impeller shaft... they like 65°F all day long.

Which is crap... when the chiller is installed in Texas. How the hell you gonna cool condenser water from a centrifugal chiller to 65° on a 101° day?!

Believe it or not there are days when the wet bulb drops low enough down here for 60 degree water and below. This is the reason for my inquiry.

Quote Originally Posted by Maine Man View Post
    Believe it or not there are days when the wet bulb drops low enough down here for 60 degree water and below. This is the reason for my inquiry.
    Yeah same even in the southern states there are actually cool days during that 1 week of Spring and Fall each year. LOL

So back to your original question... ofcourse it is possible, but you will need to buy some pieces that may or may not be considered BAS controllers.

Essentially you need something that reads the OAT and will spit out a scaled signal... then feed that signal into another device that will scale relays to turn on and off fans etc. or modulate a VFD.

This can scale a 4-20ma Temperture sensor to some other signal...
    ARM Analog Re-Scaling Module
    Name:  ARM1.png
Views: 85
Size:  10.8 KB

Feed the above signal into a device like this for Binary on/off control...
    ATL Analog Input to (4) Adjustable Relay Outputs
    Name:  ATL.png
Views: 87
Size:  10.9 KB

For analog control, well you only need the first item since it will spit out a scaled output on its own.

Hope that helps!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast