Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: In 1975........

In 1975........

1. You could buy an airline ticket and fly without ever showing an ID.

2. You could buy cough syrup without showing an ID.

3. You could buy and sell gold coins without showing an ID

4. You could buy a gun without showing an ID

5. You could pull as much cash out of your bank account without the bank filing a report with the government.

6. You could get a job without having to prove you were an American.

7. You could buy cigarettes without showing an ID

8. You could have a phone conversation without the government knowing who you called and who called you.

9. You could open a stock brokerage account without having to explain where the money came from.

10. You could open a Swiss bank account with ease. All Swiss banks were willing and happy to open accounts for Americans.

What has changed ?????

Roy
    "The perfect Totalitarian State is one where the political bosses, and their army of managers, control a population of slaves, who do not have to be coerced, because they love their servitude"

That was the year of my graduating class in high school. You're right, things were so much more free and easier back then. I could add to the list:

1. You didn't have to have liability insurance on your car

2. You didn't have to wear your seat belt if you didn't want to.

3. You didn't have to wear a motorcycle helmet if you didn't want to.

4. You didn't have to fill out the I-9 form when applying for a job or the other 15 to 20 forms you do now.

5. You didn't have to show ID and get it photocopied to rent an apartment.

6. You didn't have to show ID and get it photocopied to rent a storage space.

7. You didn't have to show ID and get it photocopied to buy a new car. You have to do this in Texas.

8. You didn't have to show ID and get it photocopied to just rent a hotel room for the night.

9. I remember a liquor store in SE Indiana (just across the border from Cincinnati) where us high school kids could buy all we wanted to even though the clerk knew we were under age.

10. You could smoke in the airport lounge and just as soon as you got on the plane you could light up again.

I ask the same question. What has changed???? We have become a society of fear and paranoid of lawsuits. Since the political left is the champion of the lawsuits, all I can say is that the political left has taken over for the past 40 years. But is it something deeper than politics? I believe once the Lord showed me that the more lawless and selfish a society becomes, the more laws and rules it needs to maintain order. I wish I knew a simple answer to this question. I was just thinking today about all the crap you have to go through just to get a job now days. Everything is one online and so impersonal. What has changed? I sure don't know it all. I'd like to hear what some other folks thinkg about this. Good questions you asked there.

Quote Originally Posted by royc View Post
    What has changed ?????
    911 and 24/7 polarizing news.

Divide them. Scare them. Then conquer them.

Really quite simple wasn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by exreo View Post
    ...all I can say is that the political left has taken over for the past 40 years.
    As we keep playing their 'divide and conquer game'.

Our nation is like two parents watching their child go down the tubes. They think blaming one another will fix the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian GC View Post
    911 and 24/7 polarizing news.

Divide them. Scare them. Then conquer them.

Really quite simple wasn't it?

As we keep playing their 'divide and conquer game'.

Our nation is like two parents watching their child go down the tubes. They think blaming one another will fix the problem.
    Quite a lot of this happened well before 9/11, Brian.

I don't disagree with you, but you cannot place all of the blame on Bush.

I agree 9/11 was the major impetus for many of the changes. Also other changes that you mentioned ie seat belts, cigarettes. helmets, are in theory for our own good or the public at larges good. I dont always agree with those type of laws but I do understand why they exist. Another problem that I see is that we have so many people that we put in power(congress) and one of their main functions is to write laws. So, in the end we get a boat load of laws for better or worse.

In 1965

1. You could pack a loaded gun on an Airline if you had a CCW.
    2. You could mail order; a rifle, 18" barrel shotgun with a pistol grip and shoulder strap, ammo (armored piercing, tracers, machine gun parts, etc.), concealable gun which fits in the palm of your hand, etc. all advertised in the Shot Gun News.
    3. You had true Freedom of Speech. PC speech wasn’t heard of back then.
    4. Most states paid at least 75% of the costs to state colleges didn’t matter how much your parents made. Now it is more like 25 to 30%.
    5. You could discipline your kids in public (spanking, etc.) without getting in trouble. Kids couldn’t call the cops and have your arrested or given a citation for disciplining them at home.
    6. Could travel with your kids on a trip without having to chain them to a chair like a convict.
    7. This was a free country where big brother couldn’t tell you how to raise your kids.
    "I could have ended the war in a month. I could have made North Vietnam look like a mud puddle."
    "I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them. It is not to inaugurate new programs, but to cancel old ones that do violence to the Constitution."
    Barry Goldwater

In 38 years, our population has risen by 100 million people. 1975, the populating of the US was about 216 million people, now its 316 million.
    The more people you place in a room, the more the appreciation for human life declines. This leads to more laws and regulations, also more greed and corruption on every level.

Think its bad now, wonder what it will be like in another 30+ years when we add over 100 million more people?

Anybody ever read the book Logans Run? ...it was published in 1967, and depicts a dystopic ageist future society in which both population and the consumption of resources are maintained in equilibrium by requiring the death of everyone reaching a particular age. The story follows the actions of Logan, a Sandman charged with enforcing the rule, as he tracks down and kills citizens who "run" from society's lethal demand—only to end up "running" himself.

Fiction maybe, we shall see in time.
    To put the world in order, we must first put the nation in order; to put the nation in order, we must put the family in order; to put the family in order, we must cultivate our personal life; and to cultivate our personal life, we must first set our hearts right.
    -- Confucius

Its more like one parent turning their child on to crack and the other not doing a damn thing about it.

Quote Originally Posted by billg View Post
    Its more like one parent turning their child on to crack and the other not doing a damn thing about it.
    That's proof that our 24/7 polarizing news has been very effective.

Know that we cannot begin to fix this until we come to terms with the fact that both sides of the isle are complicit. But to some that is too confusing. It's as if we need a team to root for.

Quote Originally Posted by newoldtech View Post
    Also other changes that you mentioned ie seat belts, cigarettes. helmets, are in theory for our own good or the public at larges good.
    True, but they are also good for the insurance companies.

Quote Originally Posted by coolwhip View Post
    In 38 years, our population has risen by 100 million people. 1975, the populating of the US was about 216 million people, now its 316 million.
    The more people you place in a room, the more the appreciation for human life declines. This leads to more laws and regulations, also more greed and corruption on every level.

Think its bad now, wonder what it will be like in another 30+ years when we add over 100 million more people?

Anybody ever read the book Logans Run? ...it was published in 1967, and depicts a dystopic ageist future society in which both population and the consumption of resources are maintained in equilibrium by requiring the death of everyone reaching a particular age. The story follows the actions of Logan, a Sandman charged with enforcing the rule, as he tracks down and kills citizens who "run" from society's lethal demand—only to end up "running" himself.

Fiction maybe, we shall see in time.
    Logan's Run. I guess these guys made it out.

You could go to the bank and get a $500 bill or a $1000 bill as long as you had the money.

You could use Chloradane insect repelleant around the foundation of your house, and you just simply would not see any insects or ants or bugs in your house. I remember it attached to a garden hose. I think the feds banned it because it was a derivative of DDT.

You could light fireworks in your own backyard on the 4th of July.

You didn't have to have your trash seperated by plastic, paper, etc.

True, but they are also good for the insurance companies.
    When it comes to safety you can justify anything. It is like dividing by zero. 16/0 = 17/0 so 16=17 because both are zero. You could say for our safety we should all stay in our houses because an airplane part from the sky might fall and hit us or some other object from space.

Oh, let me add one more. Kids didn't have to wear bike helmets. Kids were free to be kids and there was a slight amount of risk of injury. Kids didn't always have to be "safe" and have all the fun taken out of it.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast