Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    All,
    I had the contractor check the measurement again (3rd time) and he hooked up his gauges to the outside condenser and checked the charge and stated it was all charged and there was no Air in the line. He is blaming the noise on the line set stating that the noise is due to R410 in the new system having higher pressure and/or kink in the line and would cost $ to change lineset.

I told him that I have another Rheem 3.5 ton unit that is not making this sound and he says there's nothing else he can do! All this started when they changed my condenser and evap coil outside, the lineset was never changed.

Please advise...can I contact Rheem and ask for assistance or since my unit is only a month old , contact a local Rheem dealer to check the unit under warranty?

Thanks again!
    Last edited by beenthere; 10-14-2013 at 05:19 PM. Reason: Price

I would have the contractor return to your home with a rheem tech rep.

Does this noise ever go away? When on or at shut off?

Put a sight glass at a straight section of LL near the TXV and see what is happening.

Most likely due to higher pressured refrigerant of the 410..I may be wrong but it still seems like it is undercharged...if its not undercharged and he adjusted the txv..then he has done all he can do

What is the height of the air handler above the condensor..if the lineset is undersized andthe air handler is more than 20 ft or so it can effect the flow of refrigerant..this may be a contributor to the noise..without seeing it this is speculatoin

The noise seems to be only at startup for the first 5 minutes and then it goes away. I called Rheem myself and they told me they have technicians that can assist if the contractor is on site and calles them thru the distributor and they can troubleshoot the issue, but my contractor feels that they have already checked with their Senior service guy and there's no need to call Rheem. His Service manager came over to the house for the 3rd time yesterday and overcharged the unit slightly and it is still making the water running sound (Liquid line noise) at start up. (now the entire compressor outside is sweaty and I told him to come back out tomorrow and reset the charge back to normal)

I just recieved a call from the contractor and he basically says he has already send 3 different people to the house and they have measured everthing and his senior service rep claims the problem is not with the equipment they installed and it seems there's a lineset issue. I told him if there's air flow problem, kinked line or a problem with lineset, why does it go aways after 5 minutes?? He basically claims the sound is normal. There is a site glass outside by the condensor and I can put my ear on the liquid line by the condensor and look at the site glass. Everytime you hear the noise, you see a stream of bubbles go by, then a solid stream of liquid and again bubbles. this process only lasts for about 5 minutes and then no more noise and bubbles.

I don't think he has adjusted the TXV, but I know the system is overcharged and we still have the issue. The lineset is the 3/8 which is in the manual and from the compressor outside to the 2nd floor is 17 feet and then another 15 feet in the attic to get to the evaporator. I'm going to call Rheem customer service and explain the situation to see if they can help but I just don't know if they can refer me to another Rheem dealer for a 2nd opinion free of charge (Have a full 5 years of labor and parts warranty).

I feel like these guys are not willing to take the time to troubleshoot the problem. The other option is to insulate the liquid line , so I don't hear it. I can use a slight bigger insulation so I leave some space between the line and the insulation iitself for heat to disapate. Thanks everyone for their input, I'm so frustrated becasue I have spend over 9k with these guys and they are not willing to contact Rheem for troubleshooting!

A LLS would allow system to "come up to speed" quickly. It would not have to reestablish solid liquid in LL. Seems system has equilized when off and all the gas and liquid are finding there correct spot. Maybe TXV is hunting also.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12