Thread: home warranty

home warranty

the home warranty replace the air handler,but didnt replace the 22 yar old rheem outside unit.i paid 600.00 to have the inside unit replace.they replace it with a payne unit.what can i do to get them to replace the outside unit with a matching unit.i thought 600.00 was bit much.the tech took out the old and slap in the new one.the duct work is coming apart,he didnt run any kind of vacuum.just put in freon.it has come on and seems to work good.

Quote Originally Posted by jmyers View Post
    the home warranty replace the air handler,but didnt replace the 22 yar old rheem outside unit.i paid 600.00 to have the inside unit replace.they replace it with a payne unit.what can i do to get them to replace the outside unit with a matching unit.i thought 600.00 was bit much.the tech took out the old and slap in the new one.the duct work is coming apart,he didnt run any kind of vacuum.just put in freon.it has come on and seems to work good.
    600 is cheap IMO.
    now thats if the job was done right,if the duct is coming apart and the unit had moisture,then well that sucks..

up flow or down flow? The reason i ask is because down flow they should have replaced the evap coil,and the warranty should have covered it. 99% of the work i do is warranty work. In California were i live we have to do a duct test its called Title24 so if the duct work is comming apart it would have to be fixed. Also your warranty should cover duct work.

They will replace your outdoor unit when it can no longer be repaired, they charged you the extra 600 because the warranty companies pay chump change to do installs, so the contractor has to come up with non covered charges to make money

thats about all you can expect from a home warranty install

Quote Originally Posted by jmyers View Post
    i thought 600.00 was bit much.
    You get what you pay for.

And you paid for crap.

insurance co. have to make a profit and paying claims is not the way to do it. or should I say paying properly......

If it is working good why should the home warranty co replace anything?
    What's my post count now?
    UA Local 636

Unfortunately, you get nothing but hodgepodge and bandaids with a home warranty. Not worth it at all in my opinion.

I just found out that evap coil in my system (house I bought a year ago) was replaced by a home warranty company for previous homeowner. Having my AC system serviced for the first time since I moved in, I found out they put a two ton Goodman evap on a three ton AC unit.

If you want a quality system, ask for the cashout and pay the difference yourself. That way, you get the equipment and the installer you want, not one forced upon you. The companies that do home warranty work in our area are not the highest of quality. I had a customer tell me he had a tech a home warranty company sent out show up on a motorcycle once!

Bottom line is, until you get the idea that the home warranty is a good thing, then you will be limited by their choices and their bandaids, not what is best for you and your home.

You cannot even cash out any longer and have your own co. do the work unless you want to pay dearly- my inlaws were offered 600.00 to cash out to replace a 4-ton condensor...had to say sorry pops can't help you there