Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Superheat at compressor is 25-30
    When unit is in defrost, compressor comes back on for split second off the pressure switch
    Box never gets to zero now and it's mild out here now

I would verify correct charge before going any further. I reread the OP and 220 @ 80* ambient is low.
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Liberalism-Ideas so good they mandate them

Zuke

Something is wrong if u have 35 SH @ comp and that much ice on comp. wrong freon??? Bad gauges? Plugged suct filter??

Where are u measuring duct press? Comp model#. ?
    Enter & leaving air temp at evap?

Do u know how to test to see what kind of freon?

One of the defrost heaters is broken so I am checking on trying to replace it on an old Hobart as well

It has 404 in it cause I put it in, evap in and out is ten degrees diff, 19 and nine, melting the whole coil now and than going to recheck, has a suction drier on it, will check temp diff across as we'll, compressor pumps down nice, solenoid leaks back ever so slightly

Does it have a suction service valve you can front seat to see if it quickly pulls into a vacuum?
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Liberalism-Ideas so good they mandate them

pulls down nicely everytime, suction drier has 6 deg difference across it, ices up to the beginning of drier and than ices the rest of the way later, changing both driers first and making sure coil ism free from ice, than going to check pressures again

The TXV sounds like it may be overfeeding. Since you said the screen was dirty, I'm guessing that in the past, somebody opened it up a little too much to compensate.

Zuke

As I said earlier "Something is wrong if u have 35 SH @ comp and that much ice on comp. wrong freon??? Bad gauges? Plugged suct filter?? "

I'm sure you are on the right track. Most suction filters have an inlet pressure tap. I care a lot more about pressure drop than temp drop. Unless you are flooding you will not have temp drop across a plugged suction filter. I think you will have to pinch your TXV way back after changing the Suct filter.

Thanks

MIke

judging by how much you have ad to clean the screen i would suggest changing the txv, changing compressor oil, LLFD, and replacing the refrigerant. then check superheat and how fast the box drops. i think you have some junk stuck inside the txv causing floodback. i would get this fixed before it washes out the bearings on the compressor

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12