Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How long can a Trane last?

Im in the market for a new AC/furnace. We built the home 20 years ago and the builder put in a Comfortmaker furnace and I dont know the brand of AC. I have fixed the furnace myself a couple times including a bad board a few years ago. Im an industrial electrician but not a HVAC guy. Last year the AC got warm and had to be charged. This summer same and it took 4 pounds. I can see the end is near and after 20 years I think it had a good run.

I have gotten quotes from Trane, Carrier, Bryant and the Lennox dealer was a no show. Also still waiting on a quote from the Goodman guy but I dont have a lot of confidence in that service tech.
    Anyway seems the Trane dealer is a very well regarded dealer with a great Angies list rep. For a 1700 sq foot single story he is recomending a couple different configurations and letting me pick my price point. Seems like the XV95 furnace with a XR15 2 1/2 ton AC unit is my sweet spot. Being in the northern part of Indiana we probably use heat more than AC in reality. The current sizing seems fine and he agrees. Just need to replace it.
    His price is slightly less than the Carrier guy with similar equipemt. The carrier guy told me if I didnt buy from him to go with the Trane. Seems they are aquainted and friends.
    My question is mostly how long do these units realistly last? Seems 10-15 is norm but I got 20 out of a builder grade unit. Do people get 20 plus from a Trane? I have a buy once cry once mentality about things like this with the hope I will get closer to 20 years than 15 from a Trane from all the positive feedback from so many sources.
    Is it better to invest the money more on the quality of the furnace side or on the AC side?
    Thanks for any info and words of advice.

Regular preventative maintenance will go a long way to getting you to the 20 year mark. A proper installation is mandatory to have a unit reach 20 years. If you have a company install it and you are very happy with it's performance, have them do the PM's on it. That way you will get quality maintenance and support a business with great service.

You're not getting 20 years out of anything anymore. People have unrealistic expectations out of everything. Appliances, cars, air conditioners, etc... We are in a disposable made in China society. Why would you think a/c's would be any different. And they are not. You might get 10-15. And 15 is pushing it.
    I like DIY'ers. They pay better to fix.

Till it runs out of track.

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum, and only Pro members that have been vetted by the AOPC may post advise, commentary, or ask questions of the OP here.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Further infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Last edited by beenthere; 07-24-2013 at 06:48 PM. Reason: Non Pro * member

I have ICP products, Trane, GE,carrier, and York equipment hitting 40 years marks. Get checked often. Maintenance, maintenance. Correct installation.

I am now replacing these not because they break, but because they are so inefficient.

Quote Originally Posted by timjimbob View Post
    I have ICP products, Trane, GE,carrier, and York equipment hitting 40 years marks. Get checked often. Maintenance, maintenance. Correct installation.

I am now replacing these not because they break, but because they are so inefficient.
    It's statements like these that make people believe just because the older stuff did, the new stuff will as well. If you're in the business and I'll assume you are due to being a pro member. First lets cast a broad net over anything made in general. Cars, appliances, tv's. Yes, 40 years ago or even 20 when we made things to last they did. Not much electronics in products 20 years ago. For example, my wife's minivan might be a total due to electronics in it. Took it to mechanic, mechanically (engine and transmission) it's fine. Great shape. Electronics have probably made it too expensive to fix. Like in the $5000 range. Look at a/c equipment today, thinner walls of copper, less heavy gauge wire in compressor windings, circuit boards as opposed to solid state circuitry.
    I like DIY'ers. They pay better to fix.

+1. Too many cost cutting measures. Adjusted for copper prices, inflation, and the increased size of coils, I think those AC units that lasted 40 years would cost almost 2X if you built them today to meet 13SEER. Plus many of those oldies are on lower pressure R12, R10 and even R22. Lower pressure refrigerants will be less likely to leak, require less robust seals. I think a lot of those compressors might have had lower compression ratios too.

It's like comparing a 200HP 350ci V8 engine from the 70's to a 200HP 1.8L turbocharged inline 4 cylinder. Hard to fairly compare. One weighs 1/3 as much, uses probably 1/3 less fuel and revs 20% higher. But will it last longer? Maybe, maybe not, but it's not exactly a fair comparison.

I'm looking at my Ford work truck. Over 100,000 miles. Have not done anything to it except brakes and a window motor.
    1960s needed points, plugs,water pumps, carb rebuild, mufflers, quart of oil every couple weeks and at 100,000, that was vehicle limits.

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum, and only Pro members that have been vetted by the AOPC may post advise, commentary, or ask questions of the OP here.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Further infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Last edited by beenthere; 07-24-2013 at 06:51 PM. Reason: Non Pro * member

I'll bet the most failures are with non critical components and frills, such as electric windows, car AC, air conditioner or furnace protection circuits. Maybe failure rates are the same as 40 years ago, but there is more components that can fail.

cant stop a trane haha...actually not a fan of trane, icp, and especially not goodman/amana. i have had better success with carrier and york

Quote Originally Posted by slk230red View Post
    Really? All of my major appliances are over 26 years old, toaster oven 41 years, I've owned my 1971 Corvette 454 for 42 years...original paint, interior, soft-top, still going strong.
    I did replace my 15 year old Carrier system with a Trane 11 years ago just because I wanted a new one.
    I think you missed my point. Things made 20 years ago will. Things made today won't last 20 years.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast