rheem heat pump strange pressure readings

r-22 system, 5 years old, txv's in and out, whether running in heat or cool i'm getting 400 psi in the liquid line (3/8), suction line will try to go into vacuum in cool mode but seems stable at about 160 psi in heat mode till the hpco trips which doesn't take long. suction line gets cold in cool, hot in heat (but not for long) does anyone have any ideas. thanks in advance

Are you a tech? If so you found a very good site to join.

Move to tech to tech chat?

yeah, this information doesn't belong in homeowner help section...
    tech to tech is open as well... but at least there we can discuss the additional information we'd need to help you get help.

best is to get your post count up in tech to tech, and then get pro status so we can go into detail with the problem.
    The TRUE highest cost system is the system not installed properly...
    The three big summer hearththrobs...
    Mel Gibson
    Dwane Johnson
    The A/C repairman

i'm new to the site how do i get to tech to tech?

Press the triangle! On left bottom corner of post box and ask to have this moved. They may find it and do it for you.

rheem heat pump strange pressure readings

i think i have posts all over this site now, hope i'm in the right area. initial inspection unit had tripped lpco, put the gauges on it and had 150 psi high side, 20 psi low side unit not running. reset and tried several times same result, lpco trip, high side pressure never changed, low side would go into vacuum if you jumped it out, i figured low charge with non bleed txv's. started charging and once the high side started responding it continued until hpco trip. it does this in heat or cool and the pressure remains at 400 until you shift the reversing valve or feed the high side into the low side. fyi i stopped the charging when i saw the high side responding

find out how much refrigerant is in the system and compare it to the factory charge. Thats a start

ok i posted in the tech area and added some additional info

thanks ill do that, but i think the refrigerant is stacking up somewhere, especially weird is that it does it heat or cool mode

Merged threads.

Don not make duplicate threads across the forums. if you find you have posted in the wrong area. Report the thread/post, and ask to have it moved. Thank you.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

sounds like it had a restriction and someone added alot more gas trying to get low side up

so now you have wayyyy to much refrig in there , and a blockage which was probly the issue from the start

i put the gas in trying to get a high side response and boy did it work. went back yesterday and checked, 375 psi liquid line 80 psi suction line unit not running. closed the service valves, recovered out of the suction line and the high side never changed. i figure the txv is clogged but the home owner wasn't there to let me in. i also recovered the high side and pumped nitrogen in thru the low side to emulate heat mode, it seemed to flow freely in that direction. anybody ever had a filter dryer fail and clog the system or do rheem txv's shut down if they fail. i still think i'm going to have the same problem with the txv on the condenser as well.