styrofoam as refrigerator load?

Got an old Kenmore combination refrigerator/freezer out in my garage. It's the traditional type with the freezer on the top and the much bigger fridge on the bottom - auto defrost.
    We never use the fridge - just the freezer.
    The problem is that the hotter it gets out there, the colder the freezer gets, because the cold control is in the big, empty fridge part.
    If I set the cold control all the way to warm (a hair from "off"), the freezer is -18F when it's 95F in the garage and it runs continuously - when the refrigerator/freezer air damper is set in the middle.
    So I tried setting the air damper all the way to the fridge side to make the fridge colder to get the cold control to shut off. But it still runs forever when it gets hot out there, because the fridge only gets down to 44F, with about -9F in the freezer.
    What would happen if I loaded up the fridge part with pieces of Styrofoam to reduce the cubic feet of air in the fridge? Would that make it shut off quicker?

PS: I'd like to have it maintain about 0F in the freezer and don't care about the fridge temp.

Replace the thermostat with one for a freezer and route the t-stat tube up into the freezer compartment.

Alternatively fill the refrigerator portion with beer like any normal person would do with a garage fridge.

I'm not a refrigeration guy, (commercial HVAC is my thing- mostly chillers) but I think jugs filled with water would be a better starting place. That would give some resistance to "thermal inertia" (is that a legitimate term?) and help prevent short off cycles, which the styrofoam would not address. Your problem is why some OEM's make freezers specifically designed for use in a garage. Maybe some research online would give some clues as to what the differences are. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by craig1 View Post
    Replace the thermostat with one for a freezer and route the t-stat tube up into the freezer compartment.

Alternatively fill the refrigerator portion with beer like any normal person would do with a garage fridge.
    Sounds like a better idea, from someone in the know.

Something is wrong here. Are you sure the gasket is good on bottom door? If the refrigerator section isn't well sealed the freezer mounted fan won't get the return air from the fridge compartment and it will have trouble making temp in fridge. While it may cycle more often due to fridge being empty, it should easily make temp in fridge and shut off.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2