Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

york yr chiller problems.....

hey guys does anyone have a copy of the york service manual 160.81-m1 I was just working on one yesterday and the only thing the customer had was the install instructions. this Jewel has been giving another tech a fit with low discharge superheat and pumping the oil out of the separator I am wondering if anyone out there has had similar issues? kinda wanted to be prepaired for Monday cause it sounds like its going to be my baby now.

Just so you don't think your alone, I just wanted to let you know I will check my sj's when I get in Monday, if I have something I will send.

Thanks , I have been researching them online some this weekend and one thing for sure is that everyone seems to be having troubles with this model

Sounds like carryover( I know very basic but...) flows, tubes and charge all confirmed?

After checking I found out that this 240 ton chiller only needed to be 120 ton as it throttles down even with hot gas and a minimum motor fla setting it seems to pump all the oil out of the oil separator then shuts down

Unfortunately I think you will have nothing but problems for the foreseeable future. The YR chiller is especially poor at trying to turn down so low. If the chiller is, in fact, two times larger than the load required you be hard pressed to get it working in a satisfactory manner.

I had two YRs a few years ago that had given the office fits. After spending time with them I devised a way to set up the Optiview to get them to work satisfactorily. I can't tell you exactly how I did it...it's been awhile. I will tell you this, the first thing you have to be absolutely certain of is that the liquid level control is maintaining as close to perfect control as you can get. If the level in the condenser is cycling between full and empty, you will never and I repeat never be able to get the machine in control. Start there.

Thanks for your help that's what I've been working on because it seems as so as that level gets a little bit off my discharge super heat goes away as it loads . I picked up a few ideas this weekend researching it online . and you're right these things are very finicky so I'm kinda anxious to try what I found thanks guys I'll keep you posted

I also have had similar issues with YR's.Usually getting refrig level calibrated and sensitivity adjusted helps.
    There is also another calibration for level control I have been looking for.Local York tech told me about it but didn't have it either.He said it will slow down the hunting of refrig level sensor.If anyone would be nice enough to share this info it would be appreciatted.
    cant make this crap up

here ya go, good luck.160.81-M1.pdf

when asked for passwork type in.....july 2006 (all small caps and do not forgrt the space before 2006.

Thanks humbled but that is procedure I have and have done.The level control actual setting is still very unstable. The York tech I spoke says there is a procedure to slow down or reduce sensitivity of level control ?He wasn't sure but called someone and they told him its is available. Has anyone ever heard of this other procedure?
    cant make this crap up

I love how the the first sentence of this manual says " This equipment is a relatively complicated apparatus. " this should be your first warning..

Per your own words, the machine is double in size. You'll never get the liquid level control to operate in a stable condition because trying to run the poor thing that unloaded, your condenser and control valve are grossly mismatched to the pumping capacity of the compressor. You can't turn that butterfly valve down but just so much before it loses control at the bottom end and starves the evaporator, and when you're not pumping enough refgt to create & reasonably maintain a liquid seal, when you start opening the valve it will drain the condenser quicker than you can think about it. There are ways to overcome the problem, but they require field modification of the level control system.

Based on your comments, I'd definitely look hard at the charge level - sounds like you're a bit soaked.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast