Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Here's a Moldy Oldy

Quite the tank but it just won't die!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by nyrb View Post
    Quite the tank but it just won't die!
    Steam driven chiller? whats the refrigerant?
    I worked in a similar system that was installed in 1948, steam driven centrifugal cascade system chilling methyl chloride brine down to negative 93F

Open drive electric. Started life with R12 I believe but it runs 134A now. This isn't that old compared to your 1948 system. Condenses Acid at about 20F Evap Temp.

Here's a couple of shots of the older one.Photo021.jpgPhoto020.jpg

here some shots of the old system,I remember walking in and looking at all the piping and equipment and thinking "holly crap"
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by valdelocc View Post
    here some shots of the old system,I remember walking in and looking at all the piping and equipment and thinking "holly crap"
    That's definitely quite the beast, I imagine the charge was a couple of pounds or so.

Aw man, how I long for the good old days. Thanks for sharing
    Any job big or small,do it right, or not at all !!!

Oh what fresh hell is this?

That's not hell - those machines are from a time when mechanics were mechanics, and any mechanic worth his salt would have taken extreme exception to someone calling him a "tech".

There are still many of these in the Houston / Pasadena area still running and making product. Unfortunately I can't take any pic's as that's the quickest way to get thrown out of the plants. The biggest one I've worked on was 2 Carrier 2 wheeler that had a mile of piping to several evaporators at different temps and 105,000#s of R-12, converted to 115,000#s of R-134a. Getting all the oil out was fun as every low point had to be drilled and drained. The evaporator temps ranged from -40 (cascade style) to 50*F. The recovery unit was an open drive 80 ton compressor / condenser. We had to remove all the charge twice in 5 years, used semi-trailers to hold the charge.-GEO
    Once in a while everything falls into place and I am able to move forward, most of the time it just falls all over the place and I can't go anywhere-GEO

Quote Originally Posted by ga1279 View Post
    There are still many of these in the Houston / Pasadena area still running and making product. Unfortunately I can't take any pic's as that's the quickest way to get thrown out of the plants. The biggest one I've worked on was 2 Carrier 2 wheeler that had a mile of piping to several evaporators at different temps and 105,000#s of R-12, converted to 115,000#s of R-134a. Getting all the oil out was fun as every low point had to be drilled and drained. The evaporator temps ranged from -40 (cascade style) to 50*F. The recovery unit was an open drive 80 ton compressor / condenser. We had to remove all the charge twice in 5 years, used semi-trailers to hold the charge.-GEO
    Funny you should mention oil, one of our main issues with this system is oil loss through the demister. We have it apart to go through it with a fine tooth comb but I am curious if anyone has seen any alterations to the bearing housing vent line to remove the oil more efficiently than the copper wool they pack in the top of the bearing inspection cover. I've been wondering about using a coalescing separator in the vent line with a return pipe back to the sump. We can physically watch as about 3 drops of oil a minute are lost to the system and the flooded evap has no eductor setup to return oil. Both units on this site have the same problem and oil logging in the evaporator is not helping the efficiency at all. Last year I removed 980 lbs of oil that was trapped in the accumulator.

Would there be a way to add an oil educator to the evaporator?

nyrb- With all the refrigerant lines running in all kinds of directions the basic job was to prevent the oil from leaving the high pressure side of the system and getting into all the different evaporators and heat exchangers. So once the conversion was started a discharge oil separator was fitted in line coming off the compressor outlet. All the low points were also fitted with ball valves with sight glasses above. Some oil still gets through, but each heat exchanger has a vertical gauge glass and multi-level taps. The production crew has the responsibility to check levels every 12 hour shift. All the valves lead directly to the high velocity side of the accumulator so the oil ends up were it belongs. Had several calls due to production people leaving valves open. It was working fine the last time I was there. They did have to change both condensers because of tube condition and poor water treatment. -GEO
    Once in a while everything falls into place and I am able to move forward, most of the time it just falls all over the place and I can't go anywhere-GEO

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast