Swaging kit. tubing bender, Air Acetylene torch

Hi guys looking for some info and opinions im looking for a good swaging kit ratcheting tubing bender and wondering if an air acetylene torch is worth the investment I do not know how many situations air acetylene is good in wondering if its worth taking up space on the truck thanks for all the help in advance

I got the uniweld brand cross bow ratchet bender. Works good, goes up to 1-1/8". Cheaper than YJ.

I got a cheap swage/flare kit (imperial knock off) off eBay direct from china. It's "ok".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not many people with any level of field experience use air acetylene (this site is the only place ive ever heard people advocate its use). Ive never seen someone use it in the field, ever. Get (and learn to use) oxy ace, youll be glad you did.

The only predominate use of air / acetylene torches that I am aware of is plumbers running drains with soft solder.

Although it would be great for defrosting iced up evaps, which I seem to be doing too much of these days.

But I just charge dearly for the use of the oxy/acetylene for defrosting and my boss loves it. Never had a customer complain, but if they did, I would just respond by saying I can use my heat gun if you want. You'll just have to pay for several more hours of my labor. [When I say "charge dearly", I REALLY mean that. I'd be embarrassed to say how much.]

I use air acetylene because it is a better choice for me. For actual brazing I would agree o/a is better, but that is only a small part of the equation. You also have to buy the equipment, refill the tanks (or in my case tank), and more importantly transport it to and from the job site, then lug it around once you get there. I would answer you by saying it depends on how much brazing you do.
    "If you've eliminated all other possibilities whatever remains must be the truth."

Quote Originally Posted by jmsmars1 View Post
    I would answer you by saying it depends on how much brazing you do.
    For me, the best answer, as judged by the variety of work I [can] do, and space available in the truck, the mini oxy/acetylene and a little tank of MAPP gas does the trick.

To carry just the air/acetylene would not make sense. It boils down to what you know and what you can do.

Just for a little bit of edification, my ol' man bought me my first set of oxy/acetylene gauges, tips (including a cutting tip) and tanks when I was ten years old so I would quit using his. And for what it is worth, those gauges on the bigger tanks in my shop [from Sears, by the way] are still functioning quite well. Thank you very much, dad.

Thanks for the input on air acetylene guys i was wondering because a few of the senior techs at the company i work at use air acetylene but our boss supplies oxy acet kits so i thought there may be a benefit that i was not seeing.

Quote Originally Posted by Servicerunner View Post
    Not many people with any level of field experience use air acetylene (this site is the only place ive ever heard people advocate its use). Ive never seen someone use it in the field, ever. Get (and learn to use) oxy ace, youll be glad you did.
    It would be more helpful if you stuck to commenting on things that you actually have experience with. Opinions of people with no experience on the subject do more harm then good.

To the OP:

nothing wrong with air acetylene or oxy acetylene. I have both on my truck. The air acetylene with an MC tank sees much more use b/c it is a fraction of the weight, is self lighting, does not smoke on lite up and works just as well on 95% of resi work. There are things that the oxy acetylene does better and that's why it is also on the truck. Do a search. The subject has been beaten to death. It you get an air acetylene torch I'd recommend a turbo torch with self lighting A-8 tip for up to 7/8"

I have a YJ bow ratchet bender that works well.

I have A Hilmor hydro swage that works very well but, you have to be careful stop pumping at the first sign of the lever resistance going up when working with 3/8 copper so as not to split it.
    -Marty

Quote Originally Posted by m singer View Post
    It would be more helpful if you stuck to commenting on things that you actually have experience with. Opinions of people with no experience on the subject do more harm then good.
    Dude...Chill. I used air acetylene (turbotorch) in school, i do have experience with it. I should have stated that. My sincere apologies. That being said....
    Beginners have enough trouble brazing in the field without having to deal with the low heat level produced by a turbotorch. And as I said, ive never met ANYONE outside of Talk who uses one. You can do almost anything witth oxy ace from condensate lines to big boy suction lines on racks. Its a much better option for someone just starting out.

The decision between Oxy-Acetylene or Turbo Torch has been beat to death lately.

Here is another thread http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread....-Oxy-Acetelyne

Quote Originally Posted by Mike19 View Post
    The decision between Oxy-Acetylene or Turbo Torch has been beat to death lately.
    LOL.

For me, having both [aka, MAPP gas with the Turbo Torch (and sure fire head)] is best.

Yes beat to death I have both never know what is coming up from day to day. Moving on I use my oxygen acetylene more then anything else. I have the hilmor bender and both mechanical sweging & flare kit and the hydro swege kit they both rock the bender is great I will always say spend the money if you can great tools will last you longer and you will be happy you bought them. Ps always lock your truck
    Do it once. Do it correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Servicerunner View Post
    Dude...Chill. I used air acetylene (turbotorch) in school, i do have experience with it. I should have stated that. My sincere apologies. That being said....
    Beginners have enough trouble brazing in the field without having to deal with the low heat level produced by a turbotorch. And as I said, ive never met ANYONE outside of Talk who uses one. You can do almost anything witth oxy ace from condensate lines to big boy suction lines on racks. Its a much better option for someone just starting out.
    I don't think that it is universally true that ox/act is easier for a beginner then air/act. It's a lot easier for a beginner to put a hole in copper with ox/act. I agree that oxy/act can do more things well then air/act can and that the reverse is not true. That said a newbie starting out doing resi work is not going to run into anything that a air/act torch cannot very well.

IMO it is best for a new guy to try them both and not just one time. Then decide what works best for them.
    -Marty