Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Tools for Day One Installer?

I will be starting my first HVAC job in about a week, the plan from my employer is to have me start on installs and gradually move to service. I was given a tool list to start with, but it is a few years old and is a mix of installation and service based tools. Does anyone have any recommendations or "hidden gems" that are helpful/must-have tools for a day one installer?

Thanks in advance

What is on the list?

Quote Originally Posted by Core_d View Post
    What is on the list?
    stem tool kit/claw hammer/10" pipe wrench/14" pipe wrench/utility knife/9pc hex key set/10" file/caulk gun/25" tape measure/tube cutter/drill w extra battery/10" channel lock/25' drop cord/50' extension cord/ hack saw/crimper-stripper/6pc pliers set/10pc screwdriver set/seal rite adapters/service valve wrench/2 sets of manifold gauges w hoses/core removal tool/digital thermometer/scratch awl/duct strap tool/hand seamer/hand crimpers/sling psycrometer/nut driver kit/nut driver long 1/4" and 5/16./pvc pipe cutter/amp meter/red-green snips/pocket screwdriver/pistol grip nozzel/ 5/8x50' garden hose/1.5 gal sprayer/vacuum cleaner/pocket level/1/4" drive socket set/7pc stubby wrench set/parts inspection mirror/flashlight/screwdriver (3/16 and 5/16)/#2 phillips/diagonal cutter/multi groove pliers/long nose pliers/stubby screw driver/linemans pliers/8" adjustable wrench

A few of the Items are supplied by the employer, and I only have to have the ones that pertain to installation right now. So I was just wondering what is the stuff I need for install only, and are there any handy tools that sound like a good idea to add to the list?

Whats a stem kit..... Got to bring your own extension cords ??? garden hose.... sprayer....... wow

Id kick that jerk in the nads and take his wallet...... cause thats what he is doing to you.
    As Seen On You Tube (usually under someone elses name)

Quote Originally Posted by corny View Post
    Whats a stem kit..... Got to bring your own extension cords ??? garden hose.... sprayer....... wow

Id kick that jerk in the nads and take his wallet...... cause thats what he is doing to you.

As I said, some of the things are supplied by the employer. Also, you are partially reimbursed for all tools purchased. I think I will save the nads kick for someone more deserving.

Get a tubing cutter and replace the hacksaw with a bear saw or sawzall

Quote Originally Posted by corny View Post

Why would an employer provide extension cords and garden hoses and sprayers? IMO those are just as much tools as a nut driver. Don't get me wrong, it would be nice if they did but I have never heard of it.

Quote Originally Posted by 2141 View Post
    Why would an employer provide extension cords and garden hoses and sprayers? IMO those are just as much tools as a nut driver. Don't get me wrong, it would be nice if they did but I have never heard of it.
    I agree. Around here the boss provides ladders, recovery machine and recovery jug. Everything else that is tool related is the responsibility of the Tech or installer. If tool is broke on the job boss pays for the repair or replacement.

I am still stuck on the stem kit. Valve core tool?

Why 2 sets of gauges?

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Tom42 View Post
    Why 2 sets of gauges?

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
    Let me start this one... one for r22 and one for r410!
    Avatar: No dogs where spanked during the eating of my homework!

1 set Digicools.
    Quote Originally Posted by rc811002 View Post
    Let me start this one... one for r22 and one for r410!

Quote Originally Posted by lytning View Post
    I am still stuck on the stem kit. Valve core tool?
    That was my guess, till I saw it further down the list.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast