Post Likes

Fluke 80PK10 pipe temp Probe hack/mod

I got a great deal on a Fluke 179 with clamp ammeter and an 80PK10 pipe temp probe with a case off of eBay for $140.

Everything looks like new and works great until I realize the 80PK10 is for 1" pipe and above. Most of the pipes I'm measuring are 1-1/8" or lower.

I've had an 80PK8 for years and love it. So.... I started thinking about how to perform surgery on the 10 to make it an 8. After cutting off some plastic in the clamp area and cutting the shaft off about an inch... Drilling and tapping the aluminum shaft to put the handle back on, I got it to work perfectly.Name:  image.jpg
Views: 489
Size:  89.4 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 475
Size:  93.7 KB

The first picture is of the two side by side. The second picture shows the pieces I cut off.
    If God didn't want us to eat animals... He wouldn't have made them out of MEAT.

2. Likes dpatrick liked this post
    Post Likes
    Fluke makes a good pipe clamp. Great modification!

Post Likes
    You got a great deal

Post Likes
    Great deal, I think you outbid me at the last second! But now the PK10 won't open up to the full 2-5/8" ?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by FrostGiant View Post
    Great deal, I think you outbid me at the last second! But now the PK10 won't open up to the full 2-5/8" ?
    Yes, I think it was a great deal, and no, it doesn't open up to the 2-⅝" anymore. That's OK because I rarely work on suction lines that large. Typically ⅝" to 1-⅜".
    If God didn't want us to eat animals... He wouldn't have made them out of MEAT.

Post Likes
    I use the Velcro type temp.thermometer and it fits best with 3/8" or larger.
    Anything smaller and I just hold it against the pipe and take my readings then.