Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Likes

Fieldpiece Clamps

Im pretty much done with them by the way..... might order a couple of those cheap ones off ebay..... see how they do..... but I am probably just going to go back to my electrotherm for temps..... ye olde electrotherm never seems to let you down.

Anyhow....got another busted clamp and was fixing to trash can it when I decided to see what they did for a sensor. I pulled the metal plate off the jaw expecting to see a bead type thermocouple bonded to the plate like the cheap clamps use.

What I found was two stranded wires "bonded"... cant tell if the soldered or some other process is used to bond them to the plate.

I wonder how this works...... I always thought that a t couple was two dissimilar metal wires welded together and the weld junction is what produced the voltage to give the temps..... but these wires look like just ordinary soft copper wires.

Years ago I read that the fluke clamps used a type k "strip" thermocouple that was essentially two strips of dissimilar metals bonded together and producing the voltage.

With the Fluke clamp..... I could see the metal part of the jaw being a t couple strip...... but it looks like the wires are just bonded to the back of the strip..... its like both wires are bonded to the same surface.... instead of one being bonded to one surface and another being bonded to another.

Any explanations...... its not important...... I just want to understand what they are doing for curiosity sake.

Name:  FP Clamp.JPG
Views: 428
Size:  44.3 KB

Oh.. and please..... no "send it back to FP, they have great customer service" You see.... customer service means nothing to me...... having something to work with that isnt going to fly apart in the field does matter to me.

And of course... its not just the heads flying apart.... I also have seen them fail where you get no reading..... meaning a wire has broke..... probably something in the connector......

I dont know why folks just dont go to 10k probes....... I think testo or digicool does..... but make them with a reliable connector like a simple mono plug....... something that wont go tits up in the field.....

Anyhow.... not wanting this to be a FP bashing thread..... Just curious about the technology in that thermocouple.
    The bible is my constitution and the constitution is my bible.

WE THE PEOPLE refers to THEM and not YOU.

Post Likes
    UEI makes some. So far so good. Cooper does also but $$$

Post Likes
    From when I looked at it the middle is the junction both halves are the dissimilar metals.

Post Likes
    For what it's worth your electrotherm sensors plug into a Cooper MFM-300 or the Imperial Digital stuff.

I've heard some old sensors don't work but all the ones I've tried fit one way or another.

I've beed buying the old used box thermometers cheap just for the sensors lol

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by itsiceman View Post
    For what it's worth your electrotherm sensors plug into a Cooper MFM-300 or the Imperial Digital stuff.

I've heard some old sensors don't work but all the ones I've tried fit one way or another.

I've beed buying the old used box thermometers cheap just for the sensors lol
    Yea... I like the old rectangular aluminum blocks..... for years I would wire tie one down to each line real tight and then put a piece of foam tape or a piece of rubatex over it...... It was company policy at the place I worked at for years...... everyone had an electrotherm..... and they even had some company make up spare sensors but they were expensive. Oh and this company had us sand off the place where we were putting the sensor.....

I took a run of the mill 10 k thermistor last year and embedded it in a piece of aluminum epoxy..... made a "form" out of ductmate gasket that I balled up..... and then used one of those third hand things to hold the thermistor down in the "hole" and then poured the epoxy in........ connected it to a mono audio cable and it read fine in my cooper with two other sensors. Had them all laid out on a table next to each other and all three read within at least a degree of each other... sometimes less... each time I checked them over a weekend.

Tired of those fieldpiece clamps though....... and Im not trying to knock fieldpiece cause I know how decent they are..... but I just hate being out on the job.... and either get no temp reading...... or all the sudden you hear that "ting ! "...... and another clamp has bit the dust.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by itsiceman View Post
    From when I looked at it the middle is the junction both halves are the dissimilar metals.
    thats some damn fine welding then..... cause you cant tell there is a joint there.....

Post Likes
    Maybe not...... Just a guess

The point of contacts may be the junction and the plate is just a bridge or filler metal like if you were to solder the two wires together instead of them being melted together

Post Likes
    I have thermistors from a ductless. What can I make from them?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by lytning View Post
    I have thermistors from a ductless. What can I make from them?
    You should send them to Fieldpiece...I hear they have great customer service.

10. Likes vhdblood liked this post
    Post Likes
    I just **** can the Fieldpiece clamps

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    for the life of me I cannot see why someone can't make a descent clamp at a descent price . I love fp to death also but have gone through a few clamps... I've had the uei, cooper, fluke, tried a super cheap craftsman and even a hilmor.... maybe accutools should get into the clamp game!!??

Post Likes
    I'm sure everyone knows but they have the newer yellow clamps now. They are supposed to be much more durable.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian8383 View Post
    I'm sure everyone knows but they have the newer yellow clamps now. They are supposed to be much more durable.
    I was playing with a set of yellow ones today. they seem softer which makes sense to prevent fracturing I would imagine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast