Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Need Advice ASAP

I bought my house brand new in 2005. The builder put in an AC unit that was too small for the house. We have had problems with the unit every summer since. Our compressor finally went out on Tuesday. We had a guy who owns his own company come out and tell us that he'd put us in a 2.5 ton unit (which is a half ton larger than what we had before) for $. This is a used unit and only builders grade (which we knew). The problem is that it's not working as well as our previous 2 ton unit. It ran all night last night and has been on all day today. We had someone from Home Depot come out this morning and he actually told us the unit this guy sold us was a 2 ton and not a 2.5 as he claimed. I've called the guy and let him know it's just not cooling the house and he's supposed to be coming over this evening. Is there any way I can determine myself if it's a 2 ton or a 2.5?
    Last edited by beenthere; 07-19-2013 at 09:51 PM. Reason: price

Look for a 024 or 030 in the model # on the outdoor unit. 024 is 2 ton 030 is 2.5. You shouldn't have bought a used unit in the first place, those who go cheap end up paying more in the end. You can't just slam a 2.5 ton condenser on a 2 ton evaporator anyway, it'll never work right.

I'm on my way outside to look for the model #. We had to have the coil replaced several years ago because it was leaking and the company that did that actually put a 3 ton coil on the upstairs unit.

The airflow would still have to be adjusted for 1000cfm vs 800 for it to work and the metering device would need to be changed if its not a txv.

Model # is 2AC13L24P-1A

2 ton 13 seer ducance air conditioning condenser.

I should have known everything he was offering/telling us was too good to be true. We just assumed because the unit looked twice the size of our other one that it was actually larger.

You really need a Home Energy Efficiency Audit; then, after needed work is completed, you need a load-calc performed on your home & a Manual D performed on the duct system so you know where you stand concerning the potential for a Full Delivered Performance to & from the conditioned areas.

If a new install is done Right & the above setup is done Right, it is possible that a 2-Ton might cool your home to your comfort level; that remains to be discovered by painstaking accurate load-calc work.

Its probably smaller than the one it replaced, 2 tons nominal can be less or more that 24btu/hr of heat removal depending on what coil it's matched with and the sensible (temp) and latent (humidity removal) ratings of the system match.

We had the load-calc done several years ago by the company that installed the original unit. They insisted that everything was how it should be and the reason why it was still warm in the house was because it was so hot outside and it wasn't realistic to expect it to be 75 in the house when it was 115 outside. We've never expected it to be 75 in the house when 115 outside, however, it should not be 80+ inside when it's only 90 outside. We live in the South and during the summer we have to keep the AC on 80-83 because it never cools down below that during the day. At night, around 10 or 11, we turn it down to 73 and never have a problem with it cooling then. It's only during the day that we're having problems.

That would make sense. We were barely getting by with the size we had and if this one is even smaller than there's no way it's going to work. I really appreciate you taking the time to respond.

Sounds like the system is either undersized and/or there are major deficiencies in the structure allowing hot humid air into your house during the day. Do you have a pull down staircase and/or a whole house attic fan?

We've have several different companies come out and it seems everyone says various things need to be done to remedy the situation. The one thing everyone has agreed on is that a 2 ton unit is much too small for our house. Everyone has told us that a 3 ton is what we really need. We've also been told the duct work needs to be redone. A couple more vents need to be added to the side of the house that stays the warmest, and that we need an extra return vent.

All of the houses on our street have the exact same size and brand AC. The houses range from ranches, two-stories, to split levels (which is what we have). Everyone else has standard size ceilings but we have very high ceilings throughout one side of our house.

We do have a pull down staircase.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast