Sect. 608 Compliance

I work at a large university. We have many many refrigeration systems from larger chillers, 20 ton Lieberts, to 1/2 ton walk-ins and laboratory appliances such as -80 freezers. We may go through sizable volumes of refrigerant in a year similar to what a contractor may. A lot of the refrigerant is recovered either because of replacement work or the job had contamination problems.

My question is what would be the minimum requirements that we would need to meet for record keeping. Just yearly records for equipment with charges over 50lbs? Just a paper trail of refrigerant purchases and what equipment/work order they went too? So far we have been using ESS software for tracking, "Refrigerant Compliance Manager". There are many features that make it nice, but too complicated for us due to it's owner based cataloging of equipment. Due to how the university money pie is cut up, some equipment is in my department's maintenance budget, and other equipment goes to other departments. So this ownership mode can make for a confusing database depending on who's inputting the information and their institutional knowledge, or lack of it, of who owns what. I seen up to 3 or 4 equipment entries for the same piece of equipment for example, all because ownership got flopped back and forth. Us old guys are gonna retire and there's only so much you can pass on.

Our shop has passed an EPA audit back in the 90's. The shop has been cut to the bone since then. I'm thinking we may have been doing more than is needed; and using software with features way more than we need. Our department already has a computerized work order system, and it might have a feature or two we could use for EPA compliant record keeping. Maybe someone here knows of software that ain't some high dollar "suite" of features that we can only use a part of.

Thank you,

Greg

Records are needed for any and all equipment containing 50 #’s or more. I would be more concerned about requirements for leak rates.
    http://www.epa.gov/ozone/title6/608/...t.html#records

I've been using RCM for sixteen years now, and you're right -- it's overly complicated. But I have thousands of units and thousands of service records in it so we're pretty much stuck with it.

How did you end up being audited by the EPA? Any idea?

It was a campus wide inspection; they never do "just one concern".