Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 14 to 24 of 24
  1. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    2,901
    Quote Originally Posted by mark beiser View Post
    More like "common misinformation" from people who heard it from someone who heard it from someone who misunderstood something in a training class he was sleeping through.

    Mineral and POE oil are completely compatible with each other.
    SCANDALOUS, I tell you! Scandalous!

    Really?

    One of the more irritating realities of this trade - how certain myths and practices can be upheld or shot down according to the whim of popular thought.

    Suscribed for the long hall, then...carry one.

  2. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    North Richland Hills, Texas
    Posts
    14,914
    Quote Originally Posted by 54regcab View Post
    No need to worry about "R22 oil" in the old lineset?
    Mineral oil is not miscible with R-410A, so if excessive amounts are left in the lines, it will tend to collect in parts of the system that have lower refrigerant velocity, like the evaporator coil, and cause capacity issues.
    There are no chemical compatibility or compressor lubrication issues with mixing POE and Mineral oil.

    The key is to minimize the amount of mineral oil remaining in the system.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

  3. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    IRELAND
    Posts
    42
    Quote Originally Posted by mark beiser View Post
    Mineral oil is not miscible with R-410A, so if excessive amounts are left in the lines, it will tend to collect in parts of the system that have lower refrigerant velocity, like the evaporator coil, and cause capacity issues.
    There are no chemical compatibility or compressor lubrication issues with mixing POE and Mineral oil.

    The key is to minimize the amount of mineral oil remaining in the system.
    Thanks for clearing that up i knew there had to be some issue with it because if fitting a 410 using existing pipework most air cons use a flushing cycle to collect the mineral oil out of the system before normal use. Why would they bother if it wasnt a problem.

  4. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Lancaster PA
    Posts
    66,750
    Quote Originally Posted by coldjoe View Post
    Thanks for clearing that up i knew there had to be some issue with it because if fitting a 410 using existing pipework most air cons use a flushing cycle to collect the mineral oil out of the system before normal use. Why would they bother if it wasnt a problem.
    The min oil to poe oil % mix would need to be 5%plus before any real problem would occur. If more then 5%, the min oil will fall out of solution with the POE and then could collect in areas of the evap or low spots in the line set.

    Remember, when R410A first came out. Some people were saying you would have to reover the whole charge, and recharge with virgin, because it would fractionate. Which was just a myth.
    Contractor locator map

    How-to-apply-for-Professional

    How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

  5. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    N. Idaho
    Posts
    586
    I know a guy who factory charged a 410 system with 22. Soon as the compressor fired up it broke just as quickly!

    Carrier tech said the 2 just don't mix.
    "I've got my Gas Mechanics license"
    "Yea, well my 16yr old daughter has her drivers license, doesn't mean she knows how to drive"

  6. #19
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    2,660
    Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    Can anyone provide documentation as to this "sludge" that you're alleging that forms when PolyolEster oil and Mineral oil mix?

    Yes, I know that it is "common knowledge" that it happens, but I've got a problem with it.

    See, I've SEEN POE and mineral oil mixed with no problems. I've done it on instructions from customers and engineers intentionally.

    So, can anyone document it? Or are we just repeating the same old tales without spending any time to verify the truth of it?


    As to the original problem, pull the mixed gas and charge it up with new. Good to go.

    Refrigerant doesn't affect the oil. Doesn't matter if you put 22 in a 410a system or the other way 'round.

    I've seen the sludge with my own eyes. A few times. All where systems that originally had mineral oil, and where converted to poe. I'm pretty sure the sludge was just baked mineral oil or burnout residue that was sitting loose in the system, and the poe "washed it loose" and kept plugging up various things with it.

    I know that mixing the oils won't create sludge, rather its just that poe acts like a detergent. Putting poe in a system will break loose 20 years of crap and create the magic sludge. I don't think a lot of people are aware of this which is what propagates the myth.

  7. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Lancaster PA
    Posts
    66,750
    Quote Originally Posted by Damien View Post
    I know a guy who factory charged a 410 system with 22. Soon as the compressor fired up it broke just as quickly!

    Carrier tech said the 2 just don't mix.
    What was the original problem he was working on it for.
    Contractor locator map

    How-to-apply-for-Professional

    How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

  8. #21
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    2,901
    Quote Originally Posted by VTP99 View Post
    Refrigerant for stationary equipment does not come with oil in it. That being said there would be no oil cross contamination. Always replace the filter when you open a system.
    Uh...what? My pink and green jugs of virgin have no oil? What is that slimy stuff that comes out if you turn the jug upside down?

  9. #22
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Western PA
    Posts
    24,933
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike19 View Post
    I've seen the sludge with my own eyes. A few times. All where systems that originally had mineral oil, and where converted to poe. I'm pretty sure the sludge was just baked mineral oil or burnout residue that was sitting loose in the system, and the poe "washed it loose" and kept plugging up various things with it.

    I know that mixing the oils won't create sludge, rather its just that poe acts like a detergent. Putting poe in a system will break loose 20 years of crap and create the magic sludge. I don't think a lot of people are aware of this which is what propagates the myth.

    ^BINGO!^

  10. #23
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    5,812
    Quote Originally Posted by hurtinhvac View Post
    Uh...what? My pink and green jugs of virgin have no oil? What is that slimy stuff that comes out if you turn the jug upside down?
    Your joking right ?

  11. #24
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    2,901
    Quote Originally Posted by VTP99 View Post
    Your joking right ?
    Why...yes! Of course..you got it. Funny, huh? Ha ha...

    Oh boy...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event