Hmm Cooling Capacity of a water chiller.

Hello guys

I am new in this trade and I need some help with this :

What is the cooling capacity of a water chiller operating with a 40 F evaporating temperature , return water temperature of 50 F and a 45 F supply water temperature if the water flow rate is mesured at 200 Gal./min ???

If is possible I would like an explication not only the simple answer .

Thank you in advance .

A gallon of fresh water(not glycol) weighs 8.34 pounds. 8.34 multiplied by 60 (min/hour)= 500.
    200 gpm multiplied by 500; multipied by drop in degrees F.
    200 X 500 X 5.

divide that answer by 12,000 and you get tons of refrigeration.

Thank you very much for your answer.
    That means 500 is a constant and I substract the supply water temp from return water temp which mean delta t . My question is what about 40 F evap. TEMP?? We make abstraction of that value?
    The reason why I asked this is that in the ( RED SEAL CANADA ) refrigeration cetification sample question it is that question and the right answer was 600 000 Btu / h .As per above calculation means 500 000 Btu/H. That why I was puzzled.

Quote Originally Posted by Derince View Post
    ...The reason why I asked this is that in the ( RED SEAL CANADA ) refrigeration cetification sample question it is that question and the right answer was 600 000 Btu / h .As per above calculation means 500 000 Btu/H. That why I was puzzled.
    somebody fat fingered the answer key. 500k is correct unless they were using a different gallon measurement like 'imperial gallons'. if using imperial gallons per minute, the answer would have been 416,670 btuh...so that's not it.

reversing the formula (and using US gallons), we get a weight per gallon of 10 lbs. which would be more like having a glycol or something, but even that doesn't change that much.

fat fingered.
    "Mother" is the name for God on the lips and hearts of children....The Crow

Propylene Glycol is 8.61 pounds per gallon while water is 8.34 pounds per gallon.

~ 3.24% heavier , if 100% per gal

so: J say... more rightly so
    ... however, much work still needs to be done.
    CLOSED LOOP newer ratings are listed, but in numerical EER's Closed- is posted below OPEN LOOP EER's:

http://www.energystar.gov/productfin...r=0&lastpage=1