Thread: Trane Questions

Trane Questions

Hi everyone .. I am exploring a potential Trane integration and had a couple questions. This site has 4 Intellipak RTU's coming back to remote control display with what appears to be 4 separate comm busses. The building also has roughly 100 VAV boxes being controlled by a Trane/American Standard 6400-0968-01 Rev.A controllers. I have the following questions ..

1. What protocol is being used between the control panel and the RTU Intellipak controllers
    2. Is there a comm bus termination on this model of the VAV controllers (there doesnt appear to be)
    3. What signal type is used to control the screw style damper actuator (incremental control, 0-10vdc, etc)
    4. Any other tips you may have on this?

I appreciate any help you can be on this.

Images

VAV Controller Name:  Trane VAV 6400-0968-01.JPG
Views: 195
Size:  82.6 KB
    RTU Remote Human Interface Name:  20130718_085421.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  52.3 KB

1. Not sure, some form of RS485.
    2. No, that is a really old vav controller, pre-comm bus days
    3. floating point i would guess. Drive open and drive close, switching grounds. 600 sec drive time i would bet
    4. Good luck those are really old.

The comm between the ipaks and the remote interface would be the same as the units internal comm, I think it is a form of proprietary modbus. Those are the non communicating vav controllers. The pots are for setting airflow setpoints ect. I see 1996 on the vav board so the screw dampers should be 360-384 sec drive time depending on the damper size. They are a 3 wire connection, blue has 24 vac all the time and the board switches the red or black to neutral depending on the drive direction. If you find a wire connecting each board, it is probably some sort of binary control for occupancy, possibly tied back to the ipak remote panel.

Thats what I suspected. Thanks for the feedback guys!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

So is it safe to say that the comm between the RTUs and the RHI is NOT Comm3 or Comm4? Is there any way to integrate these units into a JACE via that link?

These vav controllers have no comm chip whatsoever on them. They used to be sold on jobs that had no BAS. There my be wiring between the boards and the hi, it should just be a BO that occupies the no boxes, it is not a comm link. I think I have the manual on these somewhere, I will post it if I can find it.