Thread: Will swapping out 6 inch flex with 8 inch solve my problem?

Post Likes

Will swapping out 6 inch flex with 8 inch solve my problem?

This is our first cooling season in this single story 1800 sq ft ranch style home in NC. The old system died and a new 3 ton 15 seer system was put in (Trane 4TWR and TAM7A). Ductwork is flex duct and was not upgraded.

One side of the home cools much better than the other. A visual inspection shows no "flaws" with the flex-duct, though I'm going to work on it to pull it tighter and straighter.

Two bedrooms really need some cooling help (on sunny side of house.) I was told by the new unit installer that all I need to do is replace the six supply with eight in supply and increase the outlets from 4x10's to 4x12's.

Does this sound reasonable?

How much would "solar film" help (on the windows of the "hot" rooms). There is sun on this side of home most of the day.

Thanks in advance

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by 1611mac View Post
    This is our first cooling season in this single story 1800 sq ft ranch style home in NC. The old system died and a new 3 ton 15 seer system was put in (Trane 4TWR and TAM7A). Ductwork is flex duct and was not upgraded.

One side of the home cools much better than the other. A visual inspection shows no "flaws" with the flex-duct, though I'm going to work on it to pull it tighter and straighter.

Two bedrooms really need some cooling help (on sunny side of house.) I was told by the new unit installer that all I need to do is replace the six supply with eight in supply and increase the outlets from 4x10's to 4x12's.

Does this sound reasonable?

How much would "solar film" help (on the windows of the "hot" rooms). There is sun on this side of home most of the day.

Thanks in advance
    Changing from 6 to 8 will increase your cfm from 75 to 160 if all else is correct Tinting or curtains will help with solar gain

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by 1611mac View Post
    This is our first cooling season in this single story 1800 sq ft ranch style home in NC.
    The old system died and a new 3 ton 15 seer system was put in (Trane 4TWR and TAM7A). Ductwork is flex duct and was not upgraded.

One side of the home cools much better than the other.

Adding solar film to 30 Square feet of CLEAR windows on the South or West side would save upto 800 BTU/HR / ~ 1/10th of a ton.
    or nearly the same as adding 40 CFM.
    Designer Dan __ It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with Some Art. _ _ KEEP IT SIMPLE & SINCERE ___ __ www.mysimplifiedhvac.com ___ __ Define the Building Envelope & Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows & Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Post Likes
    There is another issue to consider: Are those rooms comfortable in the winter? If they are, then adding more airflow (larger ducts) will make them hot in the winter. Now one could deal with this secondary issue by putting dampers in the supplies and adjusting them twice a year.

Just making sure the OP considers all the issues he will be dealing with.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

GA's basic rules of home heating and AC upgrades:
    *Installation is more important than the brand of equipment
    *The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)
    *The value of comfort, over the long term; leave economic choices behind!
    Choose your contractor wisely!

Post Likes
    Thanks all for the great answers. Good point about being "hotter" in the winter. The dampers are easily accessible and a tweak between seasons it not a problem. Thanks also all for the numbers provided!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in