Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
    Was the Aprilaire Model 760A discontinued? I can't find it on their site. Would it be better to use the model 700, which is still being sold?

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Gaius Baltar View Post
    Are the sparks a safety issue? Could they cause a fire?

I had air sealing done, yes. Around August 2012, and the winter that followed had humidity levels as low as 20%.
    No, only uncomfortable and a sign of extreme lack of humidity. Minimal occupancy in large home that is getting adequate fresh air ventilation may benefit from humidification during the coldest weather. As homes may benefit from dehumidification during wet cool weather.
    Don't worry about it. Do you have a dehumidifier in your basement,
    Regards TB
    Bear Rules: Keep our home <50% RH summer, controls mites/mold and very comfortable.
    Provide 60-100 cfm of fresh air when occupied to purge indoor pollutants and keep window dry during cold weather. T-stat setup/setback +8 hrs. saves energy
    Use +Merv 10 air filter. -Don't forget the "Golden Rule"

I do not have a dehumidifier in the basement, no.

I do not have a dehumidifier in the basement, no.
    Put your %RH meter in the space and monitor.
    Keep us posted.
    Regards TB
    Bear Rules: Keep our home <50% RH summer, controls mites/mold and very comfortable.
    Provide 60-100 cfm of fresh air when occupied to purge indoor pollutants and keep window dry during cold weather. T-stat setup/setback +8 hrs. saves energy

Okay. Right next to the furnace, or in the basement living area?

Okay. Right next to the furnace, or in the basement living area?
    Living area.
    Regards TB

I had placed the humidity monitor next to the basement air return. I will place it in the living area.
    Near the basement air return it was 69% humidity last time I checked. The heat wave of the last week or two is over and the temperature is mild outside now, 70F, so the AC hasn't gone on in nearly a day.
    Humidity outside is 58%.

I had placed the humidity monitor next to the basement air return. I will place it in the living area.
    Near the basement air return it was 69% humidity last time I checked. The heat wave of the last week or two is over and the temperature is mild outside now, 70F, so the AC hasn't gone on in nearly a day.
    Humidity outside is 58%.
    Use the outside dew point as the measure of moisture in the outside air. Your outdoor dew point is 55^F this week. Last week it was +70^F, while the %RH during both weeks varied from 50%RH-100%RH during evening hours both weeks. Imagine, your basement is 70^F with a 60^F dew point = 70%RH. Most suggest that 60%RH is the most you should to aviod the basement smell. If you have carpeting on concrete, I suggest 55%RH as a max.
    After you get the hand of this and want your home to be optimum, a good dehumidifier, like Santa Fe Compact in your basement will keep your basement <50%RH without any a/c running. All so it will help reduce the %RH on your mainfloor.
    High dew points are returning next week. Keep us posted.
    Regards TB

Are the sparks a safety issue? Could they cause a fire?

I had air sealing done, yes. Around August 2012, and the winter that followed had humidity levels as low as 20%.
    Hanging out with Six, you should be pretty familiar with sparks...

Seriously, if you're seeing low humidity readings in winter, and you've already had some air sealing done to the house, I'd be curious what was sealed, and where. If a house has a decent to high level of air sealing, the interior humidity levels can actually stay elevated in winter without a humidifier, and in well sealed homes mechanical ventilation may be required to assure enough fresh air enters the house.

For air sealing a house, I like to start at the top and work my way down, with the idea in mind to nip "stack effect" in the bud at one end. If air has a harder time leaving the house at the ceiling level, replacement air will have a harder time getting in down low (reverse being true in summer). Of course, wind and human activity alters this profile, but the basic approach remains. Seal up high, work down from there. This includes any ducts that are in the attic, and where all ducts penetrate through the ceiling.
    • Electricity makes refrigeration happen.
    • Refrigeration makes the HVAC psychrometric process happen.
    • HVAC pyschrometrics is what makes indoor human comfort happen...IF the ducts AND the building envelope cooperate.

A building is NOT beautiful unless it is also comfortable.

Teddy bear, would the Santa Fe Compact dehumidify the whole house? It's 2600 square feet of living area on 2 floors.

Shophound, it sounds like my air sealing must not have been as good as I thought it was. Ah well.

I'd get the Aprilaire 600 instead of the 700. The 600 is a bypass. Which means it can be installed on the return, and its bypass put on the supply. That way if anything ever happens that it over flows water. The water doesn't run down on the heat exchanger, or into the blower motor.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Is it normal that now that the ramp profile has been adjusted, when I set the fan to ON, there's hardly any airflow, the furnace doesn't make a lot of noise, and the thermostat never shows FAN ON anymore?

I had it set to CRC all day (the temperature variance in the master bedroom was bad today), and was wondering why the thermostat never showed that the fan was on. I guess it's running so low that the thermostat doesn't even register it as being on.

Teddy bear, would the Santa Fe Compact dehumidify the whole house? It's 2600 square feet of living area on 2 floors.

Shophound, it sounds like my air sealing must not have been as good as I thought it was. Ah well.
    The Santa Fe Compact would have a tremendous affect on your home. Without fresh air ventilation, I would expect that the SF Compact would be able to maintain <50%RH in the basement all of the time. With circulation of the dry basement air throughout the home, occasional 55%RH would be the highest.
    Aggressive <50%RH throughout the may require the next larger unit, SF Impact XT.
    http://www.santa-fe-products.com/pro...impact-xt.html
    Also consider the Ultra-Aire dehu installed by your local a/c contractor.

Regards TB

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast