To lower humidity, set fan to "ON" or "AUTO"? - Page 2
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    This is the Ask Our Pro's forum, and only Pro members that have been vetted by the AOPC may post advise, commentary, or ask questions of the OP here.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Further infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Last edited by beenthere; 07-17-2013 at 03:55 PM. Reason: Non Pro * member

Random1634, this is the Ask Our Pro's forum, and only Pro members that have been vetted by the AOPC may post advise, commentary or ask questions of the OP here.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Your post has been deleted.
    Further infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Okay, tomorrow I will be calling my installer to see if they can send someone with experience at improving indoor air quality to adjust the ramp profile of the blower in order to help with the high humidity.

Shophound, I can't really tell which stage is running, the thermostat doesn't display stages, just cool on or heat on. When I was having the insulation and new HVAC put in, I tried to see if someone could improve the airflow to one of the two registers in the master bedroom which has very little airflow (my neighbor has the same problem in his register in the same exact location, must be a design defect of these houses), but it turned out to be impractical. No dampers anywhere to be found, and going looking for them would have involved disassembling lots of ceiling and/or floors and added expense. The master bedroom is quite comfortable at 77-79 (with fan on AUTO), though, especially with the ceiling fan running.

Though maybe if I tell Six to put on more clothes, that will help

Now we have a paradox... Running the fan continuously will aggravate a humidity issue... yet; running the fan continuously will help a temp variance issue.

If the tech can help the humidity issue with the ramp profile and/or lowering the fan speed... then perhaps you could set the fan on circ (which runs it about 1/3 of the time when the system is off).

Now I would not go to the extreme of having 'six' dress more...
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

Ok, a contractor arrived to look the system over. He was one of the gentlemen who installed it. I explained the issue with him, the system runs briefly then turns itself off, but doesn't fully dehumidify, just gets the temperature down to what's listed on the thermostat, and that we've been having problems with doors not closing and wood floors popping up. I told him that I thought perhaps it was oversized, because before we had it installed, we added lots of additional insulation and did air sealing. I requested that he adjust the ramp profile or the fan speed in order to make sure it stayed on longer in order to reduce the humidity enough. I made sure to act polite and cheerful, and not at all aggressive or demanding.

He didn't believe that the system was oversized. He said that perhaps the humidity reader wasn't giving an accurate reading, because I had it located in the master bedroom. He relocated it to the main air return duct, between the master bedroom and the second bedroom on the 2nd floor, which he said would give a more accurate reading. When it was located in my bedroom, it read 56%, later on I checked it again at its new location, near the main air return duct, and it had increased to 60%.

He instructed me to set the temperature at the thermostat to 73, and hold it there, and maintain the fan on AUTO, and said that a good humidity level is about 50%. He said that if, on Monday, the humidity issue still persists, to call him back and he'll come back out. He did not adjust the ramp profile or fan speed.

What temp do you normally keep the thermostat at.
    Contractor locator map

Ordinarily, 75, fan set on ON
    Since I've been trying to deal with the humidity, 73, fan set on AUTO

Probably gonna need the blower set down to 350 CFM per ton, plus the ramp profile set for low ramp up.
    Contractor locator map

The AC seems to have been running almost nonstop since 11:30am or so, because it's been 95 degrees outside today, with 70% humidity outside. Yet the humidity reading on my meter still says 61%, just like at 11:30am. Is this unusual? I would think that the humidity would be down to normal levels by now, what with the AC running nearly nonstop.

Could be your humidity mete is defective. or the A/C's charge is incorrect. Or the blower speed to high. Or your duct work is leaking in a lot of un conditioned air.
    Contractor locator map

I think that the contractor measured the AC's charge. He put a gadget with dials up against the outdoor condenser and then connected some tubes to that condenser after removing a panel.

I don't know if it provides any further insight into whether or not the duct work is leaking unconditioned air, but during the winter, it gets down to 20% humidity in here.

Auto
    Always here

Your relative humidity will be reduced by running the blower fan on AUTO. You didn't state your square footage, but it appears that your unit may be over sized. Also, if your unit was over-sized, then likely your indoor fan motor was also over-sized. Reducing blower speed may help. Also make sure that the evaporator coil drip tray is draining properly. I would suggest continuing to work with a qualified HVAC technician to resolve the issue.
    Rick

"It is easier to do things right the 1st time rather than to explain why it wasn't when you have to do it the 2nd time."

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast