Thread: Supply side ductwork in crawl space sweating

Post Likes

Supply side ductwork in crawl space sweating

Hi Folks.. I have a question. Its been a very wet and humid late June and early July here in central NC. I noticed that the 'stand up' crawl space was quite wet and found that the water was coming from the sheet metal supply plenums and the flex ducts. They were all sweating bullets. The system is a Carrier 48XT Infinity dual fuel with 2 speed compressor so its running quite a bit dehumidifying. I tried drying the ducts off and running a fan in the crawl space which made little difference. I then discovered that the condensate drain was plugged. Could the plugged drain explain the sweating issue? Could the excess water be getting picked up by the fan and blown thru the supply ducts? Condensate did seem to be exiting the system around the base of the unit. The drain is now fixed and Ill be watching what happens under the house.

Thanks!!

Post Likes

Is the crawlspace encapsulated?

My guess is...No.

When operating with low speed fan, the ducts are below the dew point of the crawlspace; creating condensation on the face of the ductwork.

You need to encapsulate and add a small dehumidifier in your crawlspace. This will prevent any sweating, mold, mildew, and moisture issues from occurring.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent Ridley View Post
    Is the crawlspace encapsulated?

My guess is...No.

When operating with low speed fan, the ducts are below the dew point of the crawlspace; creating condensation on the face of the ductwork.

You need to encapsulate and add a small dehumidifier in your crawlspace. This will prevent any sweating, mold, mildew, and moisture issues from occurring.
    No. The crawl is just open with multiple foundation vents and no insulation.

Ive never seen this much sweating in all the years of having this system.

Perhaps If I turn off overcooling for humidity control (set it back to efficiency mode)?

Post Likes

Quote Originally Posted by dkeener View Post
    Perhaps If I turn off overcooling for humidity control (set it back to efficiency mode)?
    This will help but may not completely remedy the situation.

Post Likes
    Close your vents and get a dehum unit to put under there. Make sure the dirt is covered wall to wall.

I am having this same issue at a cistomers house. After he has blamed me for the issue he opened hi s vents 2 weeks ago that have been closed for 6 years. He had water dripping off the floor joists in 2 days. He also has a grade problem.

Post Likes
    Hmm.. Close the vents? I always thoughts those vents were to be wide open year round?

Post Likes
    That's old way of thinking...that code officials, dept of insurance and of the like are starting to see is not a good idea. Cold air settles through the floor and into the crawl. When it does it is met by hot humid ou tside air via crawl vents. Now you basically have a thunderstorm brewing. Colder and less humid house =worse conditions get.

Post Likes
    Interesting... I see your point. I will try closing the vents.

Post Likes
    I changed the A/C airflow setting in the Infinity control to 'efficiency' instead of 'comfort' and the duct sweating reduced dramatically. Hopefully that will be all that is needed.

Thanks!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in