Thread: Disconnect box located outside next to compressor..need help with the fuse/breaker (P

Post Likes

Question Disconnect box located outside next to compressor..need help with the fuse/breaker (P

Name:  20130716_135902.jpg
Views: 5877
Size:  16.8 KBName:  20130716_135902.jpg
Views: 5877
Size:  16.8 KBName:  20130716_135932.jpg
Views: 5638
Size:  29.2 KBName:  20130716_135940.jpg
Views: 5437
Size:  27.3 KBOk I know to all you professionals out there are prob thinking this a crazy simple problem but I pretty much know nothing about ac repair and maintence ...but here is my problem. .outside next to the AC fan/compressor unit it a box that I believe is called a disconnect box..if u pull out the handle there is a 100% copper conductor its not a fuse maybe the right word for it is a breaker cause its just a peace of copper that completes the circuit that turns on fan and compressor. ..and in the garage there is a fuse box with breakers that trip from over load where there is also a breaker the house central air unit as well....

So here is the issue the disconnect box located outside right next to the fan and compressor has that copper breaker that completes then circuit to mAke the compressor work...just to be clear there is not any kind of fuses inside the disconnect box it just a peace lf 100% copper that kinda in a shape of all letter H ....now do they sell replacements that go in there boxes? Like a group of stranded size copper conductors that complete the circuit. .the disconnect box is about 25 years old but the ac fan compressor box located outside is brand new...sorry for the long winded rambling but I'm trying to get as much info as I can into my post..here are some pics to maybe comprehend what I'm saying on get a replacement breaker/fuse or whatever it's called

-Bryan

Post Likes
    You will need to contact a licensed HVAC contractor or Electrician in your area to have the disconnect replaced. This is not something you want to be playing around with since you don't really know what you're doing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Post Likes
    they dont just sell replacement copper circuit conducters to complete the circuit i can just pop right back into? cause its just a little 2inch by 2 inch block that up pull on the handle to take out and just pop right back in like a fuse except its not a fuse its just copper to complete the circuit...i attached photos to thread above but i cant tell if they posted up since im a new user and dpnt think im aloud yet to click on pic links

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by burton8012 View Post
    they dont just sell replacement copper circuit conducters to complete the circuit i can just pop right back into? cause its just a little 2inch by 2 inch block that up pull on the handle to take out and just pop right back in like a fuse except its not a fuse its just copper to complete the circuit...i attached photos to thread above but i cant tell if they posted up since im a new user and dpnt think im aloud yet to click on pic links
    What you have is a non fused disconnect, and both pieces are one unit. If the pull out is damaged chances are the internal bar is also. If the pull out is lost you would still need to purchase the complete disconnect.

Post Likes
    Just on a side note. It's against code for the disconnect to be directly behind the ac.
    Life is like a jar of jalapenos. What you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.

Post Likes
    ok that makes sence u right its a non fused disconnect after i did a quick google search ..the messed up part is the pull out that completes the circuit is not damaged it was intentionally taken out of the disconnect box by my father cause he a cheap ass and being spiteful by taking it out so no one in our home can turn on the AC all summber so far and there a been a crazy heat wave for over two weeks now and its 97 degrees in the house except my room with my window unit witch the whole rest of family and my dogs live in my room since its the once cool place lol all cause he being cheap ass LOL i was hoping i could buy like a hand full of of the copper pull outs so we could put the AC to use but looks like thats not gunna work...i have a background in ECT ( electric Computer Tech and can do electrical work around the house with simple wiring jobs so ill take a look at this dissconnect box more carefully to see if its something i can maybe handle but most likey im not gunna mess with it..ill just look at to see how its wired up...thanks alot guys now i know what i have to do witch is most likey hire someone...

-Bryan

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hvac hero View Post
    Just on a side note. It's against code for the disconnect to be directly behind the ac.

thats nice to know this certified Heating and AC guy just installed a brand new Furnace AND new AC unit outside last fall cause the state had a rebate program if u install energy efficient units.... and this dam guy put the new compessser outside right in front of the disconnect box...thanks for the the great info fellows

Post Likes
    Tell dad you'll pay X amount per month for the ability to turn on the central AC. Trust me when I say that if you start messing around with the disconnect, the small amount you'd have to pay for the electric bill will seem cheap.
    Use the biggest hammer you like, pounding a square peg into a round hole does not equal a proper fit.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in