Mold/Tool & Die guy looking for a break-China has destroyed my trade

I live in the northwest suburbs of Chicago and currently enrolled in HVAC courses at Harper College. Trying to break into HVAC. I have strong work ethics, troubleshooting, and mechanical skills. Thanks for any help. Ed W. cell#847-226-8380
    Last edited by erw848; 04-13-2007 at 12:21 AM.

Yea...I know what you feel man. I was in tool and die as a machinist and I seen it coming....it has become Tool and Dead.
    Got into commercial hvac, with a great company because i knew someone at the company.
    They said they would not hire anyone without a good 3 years....and sure as hell wouldnt have hired me.....not knowing anything. I didnt even know what panel to take off to get into the blower.
    I have been doing this for 8 months now, and I proved myself, without the schooling..but now am looking into going to start taking classes.
    Harper I hear is a great school to learn at. Really good classes with a lot of hands on. I want to go there myself, but cant find a way around the out of district rates....Have any Ideas?
    anyway...I think you made a good choice, and I would try and ask around here for leads to employment to get your foot in the door.

Harper's HVAC program is set up for working people. It is self paced w/dvds. The tution is what it is. I priced out other programs and even out of district rates of Harper is still less than other programs. I really like it.

If you have any leads that would be great. You could mention that I should have my EPA in May. RAC 101 is completed. I also have been buying tools to gear up for my career change.

Thanks again!
    Last edited by erw848; 04-13-2007 at 12:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hudson73 View Post
    I want to go there myself, but cant find a way around the out of district rates....Have any Ideas?
    Chargebacks are the answer to getting in district tuition at out of district schools. as long as you are in the same state you should be able to do this. go to your local community college and see what HVAC programs they offer. If the answer is none, or not comparable classes to Harper, then you should be able to qualify for chargebacks. See an advisor at your in district school and ask them about chargebacks.

All the people flocking to HVAC make the labor pool larger which reduces wages. Supply and demand.

There are plenty of immigrants giving it a go, too.

Lots of people on craigslist offering HVAC work at dirt cheap prices.

All of those things and more mean that real world wages may not be so great.

From the employee's financial perspective, it is hard to beat the wage and benefit package offered by the trade unions. If you don't believe me, go check out the HVAC/service/sheet metal help wanted ads at www.careerbuilder.com Unions also offer apprentice training. There are many people here that have a poor opinion of anything union, but while employment is not guaranteed, at least the benefits don't start at square 1 again when the layoff comes.

College may give you a little more than the next guy with nothing, but getting a shop to hire you without experience will be a challenge. I hope they offer meaningful job placement assistance with all the money you are spending (meaningful as in a job that pays enough to live on- not just a $9.50 an hour filter changer).

You may also be eligible for career retraining and education benefits from the unemployment office.

Best of luck.
    Proper Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey. It's unwise to pay too little.
    When you pay too much, you lose a little money -- that is all. When you pay too little, you may lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do.

The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot -- it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run. And if you do that, you will have enough to pay for something better."

John Ruskin

Good luck to you. But it your own government who conspired against you with the Chinese to destroy your trade. We can't blame them for it, we are buying their $hit!!!!!!!! Like I said, only the best of luck to you, but fire off some angry letters to the right people, they are in Washington DC. God knows they probably are getting sick of my emails if they even read them. This government is a tyranny.

Go take a look at the flyers on the board at your local wholsaler. Theyll know who in your area is looking for an able apprentice, who to stay away from. Good luck man.
    The views and opinions posted here are my own. They do not reflect the corporate policies of my employer and will most likely get me fired at some point.

Thanks to All -I will try what everybody is recommending.

Things in manufacturing are still declining since my first post. The government is signing even more trade agreements. Our nation is at risk if we cannot produce within our borders.

All I can do is continue my HVAC classes, buying tools, and networking. If anyone hears of a way to gain experience-part-time, weekends ect... I would appreciate it. I am hardworking and driven.

Thanks Again,
    Ed

fire off some angry letters
    ...and anything else you might have around