Looking for recommendations on an older system

I currently own a Amana air command 80sse with a outdoor unit model #rcc36a2b that was installed approximately 1994. The system was having trouble cooling our house in northern Virginia, so we called out some folks to check it. The tech that came out checked for leaks and freon levels etc. He stated the previous tech charged the system wrong. He had assumed it was a piston chiller but the system was a TXV. So he filled it correctly and then when he opened where the chiller was he found a metal bulb was just dangling in the open space. He also fixed that and attached it to the line. It appears that had been that way prior to me owning the house (4-5 years ago). He started everything back up and it definetly felt cooler but still wasn't cooling the house down. He said it was possible the ductwork was poorly done since the previous owners changed it when the remodeled the house prior to us. Or that another reason might be the ac unit wasn't powerful enough. The vents also didnt seem to pushing a lot of air to me but he said it felt mostly fine to him. Our house was built in 1964 and is a 4 level but smaller maybe 2,500 sq ft? He checked the temps and said the system was running at its best possible and I should start considering replacing the unit. So fast forward 3-4 days and today the system is still unable to keep up. It's about 90 outside and inside its been set to 72 all day but never broke 78 degrees. I re-measured where he did and the temps read as below...

58 degrees from the supply duct
    70 on the return duct
    79 in the house
    92 outside

So I guess I'm wondering where to go from here. I think it would be foolish to just go and buy a unit. For all I know it won't make a difference because the ductwork is leaking everywhere or it's all the wrong size ducts etc. Do the numbers sound like it is pumping pretty good? Also he said they will stop making r-22 next year and I won't be able to have it serviced, was wondering if that is true.

Any recommendations on where to go from here would be greatly appreciated!

They'll still be making R22 net year and the year after. Plus there will be recycled R22.

Your return air temp is lower then your house temp. So it sounds like some of the cooler supply air is being drawn directly into your return. that doesn't help cool the house.
    Hard to charge a TXV system right, if the bulb wasn't mounted when the charge was being adjusted. May be over charged now.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

I apologize I wrote this last night and didnt proofread. He did the charging after he fixed the bulb. He checked for leaks then opened up the chiller area. Although he did call for "help" to try and figure out if it was already overcharged or undercharged. Any obvious signs that a system
    Is over charged or undercharged?

Thanks for the r-22 information.

Since the return air temp is lower then the house temp could that be the entire issue?

May not be entire issue, but it is an issue.
    Contractor locator map

So another tech came today and the temp difference was about 15 degrees between the return and supply. I also discovered that the thermometer i was using was off and the return air temp is the same as the house temp so there is no issue there.

The tech that came this time said he thinks that it's not pushing cold enough air out and that I need to replace the TXV, which is covered by the warranty I have. He also stated that he could replace the chiller as well at a low cost due to warranty $ to $ and that should make a huge difference. He also recommended if I did the chiller to switch to piston type instead since it less likely to break or have issues and be more accurate. What do you guys think?
    Last edited by beenthere; 07-17-2013 at 07:52 PM. Reason: Price range

Could be a bad TXV. A piston metering devise is not more accurate then a TXV.
    Contractor locator map

Now that he left the housing around the chiller has loads of condensation and is dripping a good amount.

When he was out he also added more r-22 if that matters.

Is the condensation a bad thing?

Sounds like the insulation may have been removed or damaged when one of them looked at the coil. And maybe you were just still a little low on refrigerant that it wasn't cooling right.
    Contractor locator map

What !!!

what you need is to do a load calculation. dont go by square footage.
    Just Do it !!!

Quote Originally Posted by temp55 View Post
    what you need is to do a load calculation. dont go by square footage.
    This is the Ask Our Pro's or AOP forum. In order to post responses here, you must have verified qualifications and have been approved by the AOP Committee. Please see my signature line for links to register and review the AOP Forum Rules. Thank you. Your post will now be deleted. Further infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.