Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

HVAC Repair Second Opinion

Name:  20130714_081632.jpg
Views: 357
Size:  63.2 KBName:  20130714_081619.jpg
Views: 399
Size:  59.8 KBI'm probably bordering on DIY here (because I'm second guessing someone's work) -- and I did read the rules -- however what I'm looking for is do I need to call in a second contractor?

The gist...

Blower relay out on control board (Bryant 350MAV). Dayton, OH contractor comes out and jumpers the blower motor so we at least have AC in the house during July. Comes back with relay and hooks up. I'm going to try and upload some pictures.

Questions.

1) Is this standard to leave the board hanging down by the blower housing not mounted to anything?
    2) Is this a standard fix to bring my two speed system down to a one speed (only black wire hooked up, not yellow, red, blue, etc. I understand two of them are unused spares)
    3) Could he have bypassed any of the safety features of the control board by doing this?
    4) The 115AC is just hanging there and nearly touching the blower door when closed, seems like a safety concern.

Sorry my questions are really centered around safety and if I need to call them back because this was not an industry standard repair.....if so then I'll just shut up and just assume I'm out-of-my-league and tuck my tail between my legs.

VR

JHUFlyerName:  20130714_081619.jpg
Size:  59.8 KBName:  20130714_081632.jpg
Size:  63.2 KB

get a qualified contractor to come look at what you have there.
    hard to tell if all or only some wires should be hooked up.
    that seaquancer should be mounted.

I can see doing that on the weekend, but id just pay to have the board replaced and have it done right.
    Life is like a jar of jalapenos. What you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.

The guy who put the sequencer on their was a qualified HVAC technician. I'm usually not into second guessing peoples work; however, I like to be an informed consumer. But your professional opinion is very appreciated (helps me formulate this may not have been an "A-team" repair). And this was done on the contractor's second call out. The first time he just jumper'ed the fan to the blower safety switch.

The guy was very nice and explained what he was doing; however, I'm an aircraft mechanic and it bothered me to see that relay thing not mounted to something. Again, if what he did is industry standard than I am just expecting too much.

Did they give you an option of replacing the board?

What they did is substandard to say the least. Even as a temporary repair at the least they should have mounted/anchored that sequencer (thing with all the wires hanging down). Also what kind of heat do you have? If its gas heat the board is what turns on the fan during the heating season, so your heat won't work if gas.

Mike19. Yes it's gas forced air. I would try the heat just to check, but it's 90 outside and the wife would not be happy. And no there wasn't an option; however, I thought that's what they would do.

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum. In order to post a response here, you must have verified qualifications and have been approved by the AOP Committee. You may ask a question by starting a new thread.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Additional infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Last edited by jpsmith1cm; 07-14-2013 at 10:01 PM.

This is a hack job if not repaired properly. That board needs to be replaced with a Carrier/Bryant factory authorized control board. You should demand having the component replaced. But be prepared to pay a good price for it. .
    Last edited by Dad; 07-15-2013 at 09:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jhuflyer View Post
    Name:  20130714_081632.jpg
Size:  63.2 KBName:  20130714_081619.jpg
Size:  59.8 KBI'm probably bordering on DIY here (because I'm second guessing someone's work) -- and I did read the rules -- however what I'm looking for is do I need to call in a second contractor?

The gist...

Blower relay out on control board (Bryant 350MAV). Dayton, OH contractor comes out and jumpers the blower motor so we at least have AC in the house during July. Comes back with relay and hooks up. I'm going to try and upload some pictures.

Questions.

1) Is this standard to leave the board hanging down by the blower housing not mounted to anything?
    2) Is this a standard fix to bring my two speed system down to a one speed (only black wire hooked up, not yellow, red, blue, etc. I understand two of them are unused spares)
    3) Could he have bypassed any of the safety features of the control board by doing this?
    4) The 115AC is just hanging there and nearly touching the blower door when closed, seems like a safety concern.

Sorry my questions are really centered around safety and if I need to call them back because this was not an industry standard repair.....if so then I'll just shut up and just assume I'm out-of-my-league and tuck my tail between my legs.

VR

JHUFlyerName:  20130714_081619.jpg
Size:  59.8 KBName:  20130714_081632.jpg
Size:  63.2 KB
    Its sad that the contractor didnt have that board in stock on his van, i carry two of these factory boards on my van he spent more time dinking with the relay than just replacing the board . No need to use a sequencer either, he should have used a simple rib relay and fastened it to a knockout hole and wire nutted it properly. Is this contractor a carrier or bryant dealer?

What a JOKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There is a far easier way to do a temporary repair on that unit.

The picture of the "board" as you call it is nothing more than a rip off of your money!!!! It's not a repair, it's stupidity at its finest.

Call his boss and show them these photos. If this is what passes for a proper repair, run as fast as you can to the next unqualified technician!!!!

This is NOT a 2 stage or speed system. You have a speed used for heat and another(usually higher) for a/c.
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Quote Originally Posted by pacnw View Post
    What a JOKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There is a far easier way to do a temporary repair on that unit.

The picture of the "board" as you call it is nothing more than a rip off of your money!!!! It's not a repair, it's stupidity at its finest.

Call his boss and show them these photos. If this is what passes for a proper repair, run as fast as you can to the next unqualified technician!!!!

This is NOT a 2 stage or speed system. You have a speed used for heat and another(usually higher) for a/c.
    My apologies for calling it multi-speed; I knew it definitely wasn't a variable speed. Thank you for professional opinion everyone, looks as though I am learning the hard way; through my pocketbook.

First and foremost I wouldn't do it this way. It seems poorly done

I just did this for a customer actually who had a power surge during a recent and very severe
    Thunderstorm.

I got the call at 4:30 on 10th and since it was a service contract I was there that evening and it had a bad transformer and a bad board. I wired in a new transformer and bypassed the board and got them a/c for the night.

The next day I called the local Bryant Carrier Distributor ordered a board and went back out and replaced the board
    and corrected the wiring changes made made sure the furnace worked in cool, heat and fan only.

I would call the company that did the repair and ask to speak to the boss.

I would ask him if this is just a temporary repair because it doesn't seem very safe with the part just hanging there and you are concerned about there being a potential fire or electrical shock issue and see what he says.

And then I would act accordingly.

Either having them properly repair the furnace by replacing the board with the factory replacement or have someone else out to do it properly.

Quote Originally Posted by small change View Post
    First and foremost I wouldn't do it this way. It seems poorly done

I just did this for a customer actually who had a power surge during a recent and very severe
    Thunderstorm.

I got the call at 4:30 on 10th and since it was a service contract I was there that evening and it had a bad transformer and a bad board. I wired in a new transformer and bypassed the board and got them a/c for the night.

The next day I called the local Bryant Carrier Distributor ordered a board and went back out and replaced the board
    and corrected the wiring changes made made sure the furnace worked in cool, heat and fan only.

I would call the company that did the repair and ask to speak to the boss.

I would ask him if this is just a temporary repair because it doesn't seem very safe with the part just hanging there and you are concerned about there being a potential fire or electrical shock issue and see what he says.

And then I would act accordingly.

Either having them properly repair the furnace by replacing the board with the factory replacement or have someone else out to do it properly.
    If you don't get a satisfactory response from the owner, PLEASE make the necessary reports to Better Business Bureau, Angie's List, ext... This is how the professionals rise to top and the HACKS are pushed out!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast