Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Yes, but how did it get overcharged? How has a 2007 model unit ran this long flooding? Is evap dirty?

The return was so small it was almost vacuuming all of the dust out of the house. When I first went there the filter was really bad and struggling for air and that's why we added the returns.

I'm not sure if whoever worked on the unit previously might have added thinking the charge was low trying to bring up the evap saturation temp.

I also foaming cleaned the evap coil and the condensor.

I will bring the reclaimer there and try and pull the unit down. At that point I might as well change the filter drier and check the orifice.

He says since the second year of operation the compressor has been making the noise progressively worse.

Damage may be done.

Quote Originally Posted by jlanesey View Post
    The air handler is fixed orifice. I need to charge to superheat right? And how many degrees superheat would be an acceptable starting point?
    Yes.

Send me an email(address is in my profile), and I will get you a superheat charging chart.
    Instead of learning the tricks of the trade, learn the trade.

He is ready to cut everything out and install new a/h and condensor. I'd rather fix it though. I can't see spending a couple grand when it could be a minor problem. The compressor may even still be under warranty.

I was looking at your pictures of the Goodman build sheet. I see a model number across the top. Then the items circled. I am a little confused why the 36 for a 3ton unit is circled when there is a 24 indicating a 2 ton unit in the model number up top.

Is it a 3 ton air handler or a 2 ton air handler? The condensing unit appears to be a 3 ton, so if you have a 2 ton air handler....gonna have some issues....

Quote Originally Posted by BALloyd View Post
    I was looking at your pictures of the Goodman build sheet. I see a model number across the top. Then the items circled. I am a little confused why the 36 for a 3ton unit is circled when there is a 24 indicating a 2 ton unit in the model number up top.

Is it a 3 ton air handler or a 2 ton air handler? The condensing unit appears to be a 3 ton, so if you have a 2 ton air handler....gonna have some issues....
    Woah! Good catch! Didn't even notice that. I'm gonna go tommorrow and look at the plate on the unit and see if that matches the top number.

have you figured out why the refer looked red? does it smell right? I dont know what all colors dye come in but maybe someone else charged and added dye?

Quote Originally Posted by rundawg View Post
    Yes.

Send me an email(address is in my profile), and I will get you a superheat charging chart.
    Would it be possible for me to get one of those. Charts I have been looking for one and cannot find it.

Quote Originally Posted by cavalieri85 View Post
    Would it be possible for me to get one of those. Charts I have been looking for one and cannot find it.
    Those charts are great, thank you!

He sent me this picture this morning. Condensor literature clearly states txv only. Could this also be an issue?

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373891044.701823.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  82.1 KB

Also he observed yesterday that the short cycling startup, Hp switch, normal cycle only happens when it's above 80 outside.

I'm going to go there again today and try to properly check the charge and go from there.

Quote Originally Posted by BALloyd View Post

Also double checked the model number, air handler is definitely 3 ton.

Quote Originally Posted by cavalieri85 View Post

Check your email.
    Instead of learning the tricks of the trade, learn the trade.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast