Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

New System mismatched coil.

Hello hvac pros, I recently had a new system installed and well on my contract I was supposed to get a 16 seer unit and while the condenser is 16 seer the coil that was put in is a 3rd party ADP coil that lowers my seer down to 14.5 with a 12 EER rating. My question is if my contract states 16 seer on it should I have expected 16 or is this normal practice? My system info is down below. Thanks for any input comments and suggestions all are welcome. P.S. I haven't talked the contractor yet I wanted to get your guys opinion first if I was to talk to him about this.
    -jason

Outdoor unit: 24ACC648A003 4 ton carrier performance
    Indoor unit: C60A210C166 ADP coil
    Furnace: 59SP5A100E21--20 Performance Series Boost
    AHRI nr: 5372769
    SEER: 14.50
    EER: 12.00
    AFUE: 96.10
    BTUH: 100,000

I forgot to mention that on the contract it says I will qualify for $500 tax rebate but when I look up the requirements needed for the AC tax rebate I do not quality with 14.50 seer it needs to be 16 seer.

Also the ADP coil is 5 ton forgot to mention that. I am hoping someone will tell me I'm wrong and the system really is 16 seer due to the larger coil

-jason

call the installer back and ask for the ari sheet .have you paid in full ?
    We really need change now

Hey, is this the sheet you wanted to see I printed this up off the AHRI website. ? picture file attached to thread.

Ya I paid him in full.

Name:  AHRI rating.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  53.8 KB

I will say this the only reason I would ever use a 3rd party coil is to get seer rating for the customer to qualify for tax credit or state programs if applys.

If the 3rd party coil is getting the same seer rating as the manfactors coil it makes no sense to use 3rd party coil IMO.

As others mentioned I would call the installing company and request/demand a Ahri certificate then match what your system is with it.

While I dislike 3rd party coils they became poplar in 2009-2011 tax season for up to $1500 when manfactors coils where not rated to meet the min seer. They are all tested in a lab to get rated seer but put them in a real world application and who knows what you are getting?

To many variables to say for sure. Things such as line sets, ductwork supply and return, etc... Affect the true seer rating many manfactors systems will get.

The system installed does not qualify for Fed Tax Credit. While the dealer apparently installed a third party evap coil which is bad judgement, AHRI does say the system is a matching system. Just does not meet the qualifying standard for the Fed Tax Credit. See below.
    5372769 Active Coil (Mix-Match) ADP CARRIER AIR CONDITIONING 24ACC648A**30 ADVANCED DISTRIBUTOR PRODUCTS C60A***C16(6,9) 1500 59*P5A100E21**20 44000 12.00 14.50 1 RCU-A-CB 367

In fact according to my quick research, there are no matches that meet the qualifying standard with this model Carrier furnace and Carrier Performance 16 AC condenser model.

IMO

Yea thanks for the info I figured as much I wish he went with all carrier parts. I'm sure my system is around 11 seer after my inadequate sized return 600 square inches original box only designed for heat.

Hey tigerdunes, thanks for posting here and on the other forum . It definitely looks like I will be in for some headaches on getting up to 16 seer if its even possible without changing the outdoor unit.

Quote Originally Posted by mrjasondude View Post
    Hey tigerdunes, thanks for posting here and on the other forum . It definitely looks like I will be in for some headaches on getting up to 16 seer if its even possible without changing the outdoor unit.
    I know last year Ruud had a lot of AHRI ratings with Aspen coils, but for some reason this year it only has them with their own coils, and whats really the kicker, the Aspen coils actually rate higher in most all cases. We sold two jobs using the Aspen coils this year, before the salesman sent out a memo that we all need to look at the new seer ratings on this years price list. I have never seen so much dropping the ball in this world in my entire life, I don't know if it's something in the air, or to many people can't get their heads out of their smart phones, but it's becoming an epidemic.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

What do you guys think the installer will do if anything when I ask him? Any thoughts if you were him what would you do to correct it?

My take on it is I'm out the extra cost I paid for 16 seer equipment minus the coil a $300 tax credit and whatever electrical savings I would of gotten over the lifespan of the unit. I used energy stars AC calculator to find the savings between 14.5 and 16. Its not much but it adds up basically 8 bucks a month difference in electrical consumption you figure like 450+ over its lifespan.

If its truly written down on the contract, I would tell him you want the $300 or the correct equipment that will meet the qualifying standard for the tax credit.

Have you paid the dealer in full? Does he know you are upset?

IMO

I will be calling him this week I just wanted to get your guys point of view on the situation.

Here is the contract with all the personal info & dollar amounts removed minus the tax rebate so I'm not missing anything or misunderstanding the contract.

Name:  contract.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  81.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by mrjasondude View Post
    I will be calling him this week I just wanted to get your guys point of view on the situation.

Here is the contract with all the personal info & dollar amounts removed minus the tax rebate so I'm not missing anything or misunderstanding the contract.

Name:  contract.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  81.3 KB
    Contract list the indoor coil as the model you got.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast