+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: gauges

Post Likes

gauges

How many sets of gauges do you guys roll around with? Im 10 months into my first year in the field and only have one set, so far. Ive been doing some reading and it seems most people have at least two sets, maybe more. Ive been thinking of purchasing another set soon just wanted some other opinions. I dont think Ill buy another analog set i might as well go digital. no guys I work with have digital.

Post Likes
    Ak-900

You won't be sorry.

Post Likes
    I have two sets. Both digital. One ak900 and the other Testo 550. Will never go back to analog.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Join http://scopeny.org/ Shooter’s Committee on Political Education

The world is full of sheep,try not to join the flock.

Support the Skilled Trades, Don't DIY

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    Ak-900

You won't be sorry.
    thats what im thinking, thanks

Post Likes
    Always good to have a backup set of gauges in case you break or loose one.

I have an AK-900 and my original set of Robinair analogs.

Post Likes
    2- ak900 and yj41 analogues

Post Likes
    I use a Fieldpiece SMAN3 and a set of analogs as a backup. Digitals with temp clamps make it real easy to get your superheat and subcooling numbers.

Post Likes
    I have an AK but I keep my analogs as a back up set and I use them from time to time on systems that I am fairly sure are badly burned out. I also make the helper use them so he can learn how to do it the same way I did, the old school way.
    The only true knowledge is the pursuit of knowledge

Post Likes
    2-ak900's and analog stubbys. I have other analog gauges but they are just there for looks I think

Sent from my SGH-T999L using Tapatalk 2

Post Likes
    You need a set for 410A an a set for all the rest. It is also good to have some individual gauges on very short hoses, 6" or so, for quick testing and it doesn't use up as much gas when you disconnect; which is good for very small critically charged systems. It's nice to add the little ball valve hoses to the end of your big set, although they tend to leak by the handle after awhile. I take the schrader core pusher out of the main hose and remove the ball valve end hose for faster evacuation. I hate the hoses with the check valves in the end, there too big and it limits purging. I like to add a Ό" male/female flare sight glass to the middle, if the set doesn't have one just to have fun watching the liquid go by. I don't use the glycerin filled ones because 100*f sun will make them leak. I have some of the nice brass gauges because they make me look cool like I know something when I really don't usually. Multiple gauges are good because I tend to break them; or sometimes I will run around working on multiple units at the same time. Also, many units have 2 or 4 circuits that you want to look at at the same time. You also need ⅜" adaptors so you can connect to some mini-splits like LG.
    I have 4 sets + some single gauges + vacuum gauge + many temperature devises. I have had to replace pressure transducers on many systems over the years so I am a little leery of the electronics gauge. I feel like it should have multiple sensors so I can verify when it is inaccurate, but I suppose I will get an electronic one too. Having lot's of cool tools is the best part of the job.

Post Likes
    I have 4 sets of gauges and just ordered an ak-900, really curious if I will like them. Now one of mine are stubies for ice machines andreach-ins. And my old 3 port for checking oil...

Post Likes
    Testo 570's and Robinair digital stubbys.

Post Likes
    570's and the Sman4's pluss a few sets of analog imperial Eastmans all 4 valve. Also the yellow (blueVac), and the 522? Testo micron gauges.

Post Likes
    One AK900, two stubby's, five analog sets. I'm about ready to buy a second AK900 set. They are awesome.

Post Likes
    Ak900, testo 550, then 2 sets of analogs. I do carry a few stubby gauges but I never use them.

Post Likes
    testo 557, sman3's couple yj analog's

Post Likes
    S-man3's with a yellow jacket analog for checking oil pressures. I try not to use the digitals where oil will get into them but its not always possible.
    "The race is to the driven....not the swift."

Post Likes
    I just got a set of stubbys. Love them.

Post Likes
    I have a stubby Tif digital lo side gauge. Back in the day I used it when I pulled a vacuum.
    Humnn, I might swap it for Clovers Sman4's. Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by targetman View Post
    I just got a set of stubbys. Love them.

Post Likes
    I have one set per refrigerant i work on to prevent contamination between units

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in