+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Gas pressure too low, replace the gas controller?

Post Likes

Gas pressure too low, replace the gas controller?

I recently had my Lennox MDP-4035CPM (propane) cleaned by a professional and the guy checked the incoming gas pressure. He said it was low, about 10 psi when it should have been 12 psi. He thought this might have been the issue with it causing soot. He also thinks I should replace the gas valve (about ~$2) and another 1-2 hrs labor, about $4 total. This after a cleaning bill of almost $5.

My questions are
    • Do you agree that a low gas pressure could cause the soot problem? (It seems to me that it would have nothing to do with the viability of the flame, rather it would govern how high the flame was in the firebox).
      Do you agree that a gas valve that runs a little low is a danger and should be replaced?

Thanks,

Bob
    Last edited by Chris_Worthington; 09-19-2013 at 09:31 AM. Reason: Pricing Removed

Post Likes
    What was the out going pressure ?

Post Likes
    Most propane valves can run down at 10", like was mentioned above, the outgoing pressure is what matters.
    There could be issues with the vent as well.
    The regulator outside the house is what controls incoming gas pressure, so I can't see how changing the appliance gas valve will help....

Time for a second opinion I think.

Post Likes
    Sorry for the confusion. Yes, that was the "going out" pressure. I called second level technical support at Lennox and they said that 8 in was way too low and will definitely cause excessive soot. They recommended changing the gas valve. Even though the unit has a "20-yr Warranty" they exclude controllers so I am out of luck.

Post Likes
    Whoa! You're all over the place. Gas pressures at the appliance are stated in terms of inches of water column or wci. The typical inlet pressures for LPG under full load meaning this appliance on 'hi' plus any other attached appliances firing on 'hi' ranges from 11-14wci, which equals 1/2psi. On an LP system, you should have a second stage regulator which reduces pressure from the tank at about 10 psi down to this 11-14wci. If your inlet pressure is too low, have a qualified technician increase the pressure at the regulator or consider larger diameter piping for long runs. Once you can reliably deliver this amt. of gas under full load to all appliances, then you can look at the gas combination valve attached to the appliance. There is a way for a pro to test the line pressure directly then correlate it to the inlet pressure once it has entered this valve. Unless a valve gets damaged such as by line voltage, it usually does not need to be replaced. again, there are ways for a pro to test the valve that cannot be discussed here as it would constitute DIY advice. Yes, low inlet pressure and low manifold pressure can result in sooting and carbon monoxide formation. You might need to shop around for a different Fp repair technician.

FYI, no discussing pricing on this site.

Post Likes
    I second what hearthman said, I would highly recommend a new company(or specifically request the senior tech) to service your fireplace.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in