Thread: custom made heating/ac units in Ny high rise building

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Likes

custom made heating/ac units in Ny high rise building

I have spent so much money for my AC units and it doesn't work its hot in the summer and cold in the winter
    I live in the 60th floor,the company that build me a custom made system telling me that the chiller in the building supplied water at 48 deg. by the time
    it reaches the 60th floor it will be at 55 to 60 deg. and that's why I have the problem . and I don't believe them because why my neighbors have no problems
    its working fine for them and mine is customized it should be better. ANY ONE CAN GIVE ME EXPAINATIONS PLEASE.
    I FEEL THEY CHEATED ME SOMEBODY SOMEWHERE CHEATED ME .
    THANK YOU VERY MUCH

Post Likes
    Your post seems better suited for the AOP forum as you sound like a homeowner, not a tech.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by CoolShowers View Post
    Your post seems better suited for the AOP forum as you sound like a homeowner, not a tech.
    yes I'm HOMEOWNER CAN YOU HELP ME PLEASE

Post Likes
    Moved to AOP commercial forum.

Post Likes
    This is the Ask Our Pro's forum, and only Pro members that have been vetted by the AOPC may post advise, commentary, or ask questions of the OP here.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Last edited by beenthere; 07-14-2013 at 07:44 PM. Reason: Non Pro * member. no warning this time, may not have understood he can't post after thread has been moved either

Post Likes
    Post in the AOP section of the forum then; this section is for other technicians. They'll ask you for more info. I'm not a professional member on the board, so I'll refrain from commenting further.

Post Likes
    CoolShowers. You are not allowed to post in the AOP forums, even in threads that were moved from a forum where you were allowed to post.

I'll let the above slide this time. But only this time. Next one doesn't slide.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexiabi View Post
    I have spent so much money for my AC units and it doesn't work its hot in the summer and cold in the winter
    I live in the 60th floor,the company that build me a custom made system telling me that the chiller in the building supplied water at 48 deg. by the time
    it reaches the 60th floor it will be at 55 to 60 deg. and that's why I have the problem . and I don't believe them because why my neighbors have no problems
    its working fine for them and mine is customized it should be better. ANY ONE CAN GIVE ME EXPAINATIONS PLEASE.
    THANK YOU VERY MUCH
    You don't provide any information on what type of unit you have, except for that it is a "customized" type of system compared to what your neighbors have, but apparently it works worse?? You say the water "will be" 55-60 degrees by the time it gets to your floor? What does that mean? Has anyone ever taken any actual temperature readings to find out what is going on?

What type of heating and cooling system do you have, and how is it different than your neighbors? Does your unit have a compressor in it, or is it just a fan that blows across a coil that has water passing through it that is cooled/heated by the building? Do you have ductwork through your apartment that the air blows out of? Do you have pneumatic controls, meaning a thermostat that is controlled by compressed air?

Is the hallway to your apartment in a large negative pressure, meaning do you feel a bunch of air getting sucked out of your apartment when you open or close your door? I have seen this cause problems in high rise buildings before, and if that is the case, there might not be much you can do.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ammoniadog View Post
    You don't provide any information on what type of unit you have, except for that it is a "customized" type of system compared to what your neighbors have, but apparently it works worse?? You say the water "will be" 55-60 degrees by the time it gets to your floor? What does that mean? Has anyone ever taken any actual temperature readings to find out what is going on?

What type of heating and cooling system do you have, and how is it different than your neighbors? Does your unit have a compressor in it, or is it just a fan that blows across a coil that has water passing through it that is cooled/heated by the building? Do you have ductwork through your apartment that the air blows out of? Do you have pneumatic controls, meaning a thermostat that is controlled by compressed air?

Is the hallway to your apartment in a large negative pressure, meaning do you feel a bunch of air getting sucked out of your apartment when you open or close your door? I have seen this cause problems in high rise buildings before, and if that is the case, there might not be much you can do.
    Good Morning And Thank you for your reply.
    Well I don't know what kind of system I have and how can I find out , My neighbors they use what ever the building is offering and it does work fine. what I know is that my units has compressor and ductwork through the apartment and it blows air and its controlled by thermostat
    I don't feel air is getting sucked out and the blower is very weak slow I put my hand where the air is coming out I can hardly feel it .its not strong enough.

Post Likes
    And about the water temperature that's what they told me , why it works for my neighbor and it doesn't work for me where it should be better because it was build specially
    for me.does it engineered well ? no...What went wrong ? Thank you again

Post Likes
    If your unit has a compressor in it. 60 degree water is plenty cold for it to work.

If you posted pics of what you have that may help.

Post Likes
    Air filter been changed recently?

Have you had the installer back to look at things and explain why it won't perform to your expectations?
    Use the biggest hammer you like, pounding a square peg into a round hole does not equal a proper fit.

Post Likes
    Sounds like a chilled water fan coil. Doesn't sound like a good argument if the neighbors are cooling fine. The water valve might not be opening fully, blockage in the coil, dirty coil, dirty fan.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexiabi View Post
    THANK YOU VERY MUCH
    Get the contractor back and sit him down with the building engineers and have it fixed.

Post Likes
    55 - 60 doesn't seem right especially since your neighbors are fine. Maybe someone measure the wrong pipe and gave you some bogus info.

You just haven't found the right guy yet to accurately diagnose the problem.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by gbfromsd View Post
    55 - 60 doesn't seem right especially since your neighbors are fine. Maybe someone measure the wrong pipe and gave you some bogus info.

You just haven't found the right guy yet to accurately diagnose the problem.
    This is the Ask Our Pro's or AOP forum. In order to post responses here, you must have verified qualifications and have been approved by the AOP Committee. Please see my signature line for links to register and review the AOP Forum Rules. Thank you. Your post will now be deleted. Further infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.

Post Likes
    Uninsulated pipe run?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in