where can I find the model number on Majestic?

where can I find the model number on Majestic?

we have an old Majestic wood fireplace (circa 1980). As part of a reflashing / roofing repair job, I would like to remove the old pre-fab sheetmetal chimney and leave the flue pipe and flashing exposed. I will need to locate a chimney cap that fits atop the flue pipe, and will need to extend the flue pipe to achieve the proper height above the roof.

I am having trouble locating parts - this unit uses the 8"/12"/15" triple wall pipe. Where can I locate the model number such that I can use CFM tech support? Is it somewhere in or on the firebox? Can I use a chimney cap from a different manufacturer?

Many questions; much frustration; many thanks for any help you can provide.

Cool bad news

I seriously doubt you will find the components you need. No, you cannot mix and match. At 27yrs old, its about time to replace that old fireplace with a new one.

Quote Originally Posted by rjans View Post
    I would like to remove the old pre-fab sheetmetal chimney and leave the flue pipe and flashing exposed.
    You said it is tripple wall... are you thinking about removing the outer shell of the tripple wall and just leaving the inner flue? You can't do that.

followup

I was able to locate an old label on the starter section (the section immediately next to the firebox). It lists the fireplace model as a Temco model TBF-42-1. One of our local distributors mistakenly told me it was a Majestic unit - sorry for the confusion

If I can extend the flue piping with sheetmetal, I would be extending all three walls of the triple wall pipe - presumably by wrapping a piece of same gage thickness galv sheetmetal to each pipe and securing with self tapping sheetmetal screws.

I have located a three wall cap at northlineexpress.com, product ID 5C0-11420 that looks dimensionally appropriate, but am unsure if using a non-Temco brand cap is allowed.

Certainly replacement of the entire system is an option, but I would like to be able to make the chimney weather tight in the meantime, even if that means the fireplace goes unused until time of system replacement

Thanks again for your input.

Thumbs down home made chimney?

What you are proposing is a good way to burn a house down. If you cannot locate the mfrs. listed components, tear it out and replace the entire system. No if's, and's or but's.

If you need to cover it for rain, get a tarp.

You cannot make your own chimney pipe. End of story. If you did that and your house started on fire (even if it was not related to the chimney) you would would probably get nothing from the insurance company. You need the find an install manual for the unit and find the EXACT pipe specified for the unit, that is how it is tested and listed and the only way it is approved to be used.

fair enough. We'll seal it up to keep the rain out and replace it with a new system in the not too distant future.