Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: oxy/acet

oxy/acet

for brazing copper with oxy/acet, do I wear cutting torch goggles or clear safety glasses ok

Copper doesn't glow bright like steel. I use dark or clear safety glasses.

I should start wearing something- the reading glasses I wear aren't protection.

If it is bright & sunny, where your safety shades. If it is overcast or in the basement, where your clear safety lenses. And one more thing, use a slightly carbonizing flame!

interesting! all this time now and ive never wore anything nor have i seen anyone wear anything! it doesnt bother me at all!

Quote Originally Posted by jacob-k View Post
    interesting! all this time now and ive never wore anything nor have i seen anyone wear anything! it doesnt bother me at all!
    Really.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Really.
    yeah seriously

Start wearing safety glasses, I know they're not "cool" but F loosing an eye, a guy I know is an opthamologists(eye surgeon), he hooked me up with safety rated Bolle prescription glasses that transition, wished I had done that a long time ago. I've worked with a guy with one eye just from a rubber strap breaking and have heard the witness account of a guy taking out his eye pulling a drive off. The eye surgeon guy has seen all sorts of dumb stuff damage people's eyes, ever see a piece of PVC pipe fly off when you cut with those Malco hand cutters, that could stick you right through your eye lid, watched one stick in a co workers cheek one time, he didn't have any glasses on and we both knew he had just gotten very lucky.

Was washing a 15 ton carrier RTU out from inside the coil area the other day and the wind picked up, turn my head and take a spinning fan blade to the glasses, glad I had them.

Do what you want though.

Quote Originally Posted by mason View Post
    Start wearing safety glasses, I know they're not "cool" but F loosing an eye, a guy I know is an opthamologists(eye surgeon), he hooked me up with safety rated Bolle prescription glasses that transition, wished I had done that a long time ago. I've worked with a guy with one eye just from a rubber strap breaking and have heard the witness account of a guy taking out his eye pulling a drive off. The eye surgeon guy has seen all sorts of dumb stuff damage people's eyes, ever see a piece of PVC pipe fly off when you cut with those Malco hand cutters, that could stick you right through your eye lid, watched one stick in a co workers cheek one time, he didn't have any glasses on and we both knew he had just gotten very lucky.

Was washing a 15 ton carrier RTU out from inside the coil area the other day and the wind picked up, turn my head and take a spinning fan blade to the glasses, glad I had them.

Do what you want though.
    I was referring to welding and the OPs post, glasses arent a bad idea but as for welding ive never wore them nor ever thought they where needed.

yeah seriously
    LOL..
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

I was referring to welding and the OPs post, glasses arent a bad idea but as for welding ive never wore them nor ever thought they where needed.
    Yeah. Kind of like I never wear my seat belt for driving. Only for dangerous stuff like crashing.

Quote Originally Posted by cjpwalker View Post
    Yeah. Kind of like I never wear my seat belt for driving. Only for dangerous stuff like crashing.
    ok so whats dangerous about it? the flame being to bright? or it poking you in the eye?......im totally lost here, four years in the trade, the first 3 1/2 strictly installs, 3-4 installs a week, probably several thousand welds, been on many crews now worked with bosses, techs that been to school, NEVER EVER HAS ANYBODY SUGGESTED, WORE, SAID IT WAS BAD, nothing! so im asking why exactly do you need to wear glasses other then you should always protect your eyes, is there something extra special about wearing glasses while welding?

Safety glasses! Clear inside and tinted for outside/sun work. Now, I need to put my advice into personal practice.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast