Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

LL filter drier placement

Is there an advantage to putting the filter drier on the inside, right outside evap. Boss is having us do it this way so it "catches anything in lines ". I see no advantage. Just curious. Any thoughts?

and no exposure to weather to rust out steel shell also

There are advantages, as mentioned it will not be exposed to the elements, that paint is covering a steel shell, steel rusts.

If you start the unit up in a/c mode, most are, the refrigerant flows from outside in, with the filter drier at the evap it will screen any shavings or flakes from brazing before it gets to the metering device.

Quote Originally Posted by Carbent View Post
    Is there an advantage to putting the filter drier on the inside, right outside evap. Boss is having us do it this way so it "catches anything in lines ". I see no advantage. Just curious. Any thoughts?
    Your boss is using his head... driers have up to 50% more moisture capacity by lowering temp from 125f to just 75f!

French Settlement, Louisiana, United States
    Quote Originally Posted by IRBH View Post
    Your boss is using his head... driers have up to 50% more moisture capacity by lowering temp from 125f to just 75f!
    So in the south they would be better placed outside than in the attic?

Manufacturer recommends putting them near the evaporator.

I always put them outside near condenser. I feel like a restricted drier is less likely to be misdiagnosed like this. Also, I find a LOT of systems that have two driers because of this. If it gets rusty just paint it

Another advantage of placing in doors is when the drier is near its capacity if it gets heated up on a hot day outside it will lose moisture back into the system

Quote Originally Posted by socotech View Post
    I always put them outside near condenser. I feel like a restricted drier is less likely to be misdiagnosed like this. Also, I find a LOT of systems that have two driers because of this. If it gets rusty just paint it
    ^ditto^

Most install manuals say to put them near the a/h but hey the fact that you are replacing the filter dryer is more than most would do.

So how does this philosophy (inside drier placement prevents cosmetic damage, etc.) work for all of the systems that have a "built in" drier in the condenser?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by jmill79 View Post
    So how does this philosophy (inside drier placement prevents cosmetic damage, etc.) work for all of the systems that have a "built in" drier in the condenser?

Good point.

Quote Originally Posted by jmill79 View Post

here at the beach, its not cosmetic. it will rust thru. And for those preinstalled, they get coated at install.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast