Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    there are always cheap customers that dont want to repair anything.
    Most of my calls are to change the filters and change belts because the evap was frozen solid. and in every invoice i state " Requires rountine maintenance" Stupid customers but... they pay the bills when it happens!

Ive seen Coolers working off 404a which i was told works better and cheaper now adays

I can see adding different refrigerants to systems by mistake all the time. I got a habbit now to bring sprays can with me and paint the colour on the head of the compressor or something accessible.
    Last edited by akelesis; 07-14-2013 at 08:15 AM. Reason: more info
    Get er Done!

Do what has to be done
    when it has to be done
    as well as it has to be done
    And doing it all the time.

A five dollar paint pen in your tool bag goes a long way. Makes for a very easy permanent way to mark equipment. Cheap customers aren't good for business! They don't allow you to do your job, unless your some sortof shade tree mechanic.

Quote Originally Posted by Capz View Post
    I've never come across an R134 walk-In...Are they out there?

But I did convert a R22 Walk-in to R404 today. I hope I didn't miss anything....
    But the old compressor was single phase when 3 phase was available and right there. One wire disconnected and taped off at the condenser unit. I installed a 3 phase R404 pump. Now, that's mind boggling....why they didn't install a 3p condensing unit 10 yrs ago. No relays and capacitors to deal with, uses less electric and the cost of the compressor is less up front.
    I've had to do that in emergencies when there was just no time to wait for a 3-phase condensing unit.

I new which refrigerant to use for this system, the colours of the R22 and R134A tanks are both greenish and that's where I messed up. I think I need to start storing them on opposite ends of the rack in my van! Or maybe just start reading them. PHM that is a crazy story. Imagine all the time this guy wasted over his lifetime draining the manual steam system. It would probably add up to years!

Quote Originally Posted by SurreyStevo View Post
    It didn't really change anything. The head pressure went up 5psi. In theory, the R-134A could be retrieved by getting it from the discharge. But I don't know how it blends with the R-22. To properly fix this with new gas would cost $500+.
    11# of r22 doesn't "cost" $500. You charge $500+ retail. Cost is much less than that.

R134a is a component in several blends. Doubt it will cause any harm and every time it leaks down there will be even less of it in the system.

I know your right about the cost, but It would be a pain in the ass to try to explain that to the 15 plus office staff I help support. I swear, half the positions in the office were created out of mistrust of the techs.

Quote Originally Posted by SurreyStevo View Post
    I new which refrigerant to use for this system, the colours of the R22 and R134A tanks are both greenish and that's where I messed up. I think I need to start storing them on opposite ends of the rack in my van! Or maybe just start reading them. PHM that is a crazy story. Imagine all the time this guy wasted over his lifetime draining the manual steam system. It would probably add up to years!
    What happens is,the color of the R134 fades over time,I almost did the same thing at times!

Pretty hard to theorize what might happen. I've done similar mistake and was forced to empty it and recharge. That in my mind is the only ethical repair. Sorry but unless the customers equipment is your experiment what else can you do.
    ckartson
    I didn't write the book I just read it!

Many times I have replaced 3 phase with single. Do that of wait 3 weeks till supplier could get a 3 phase unit. Never had a problem, never has a customer say wow my electric bill has gone up. Have had them say that was fast service.
    Point is sometimes there is a reason for things you don't know about.
    There are many 134 walk ins, don't like them but most ere done quite some time ago. Remember 134 was the "standard" replacement for R12. Now most are 404 although I have changed r134's to 409 with outside condensers and like 416 for inside.

Quote Originally Posted by Capz View Post
    I've never come across an R134 walk-In...Are they out there?

But I did convert a R22 Walk-in to R404 today. I hope I didn't miss anything....
    But the old compressor was single phase when 3 phase was available and right there. One wire disconnected and taped off at the condenser unit. I installed a 3 phase R404 pump. Now, that's mind boggling....why they didn't install a 3p condensing unit 10 yrs ago. No relays and capacitors to deal with, uses less electric and the cost of the compressor is less up front.

You added one pound to an eleven pound system? I don't think I would "recharge the system". Is the system operating correctly? I wonder how many residential split systems have 134a added to them by some shade tree mechanic.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12