I Was a Warehouse Wage Slave

Excellent article on what some of our not so fortunate people do to earn a living, and a reminder of what others have to do to get that online order to your door.

This is a 4 page read...

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/...s-labor?page=1

Roy
    "The perfect Totalitarian State is one where the political bosses, and their army of managers, control a population of slaves, who do not have to be coerced, because they love their servitude"

I read all 4 pages.

I worked at a distribution center for Menards (big midwest home improvement chain like home depot/lowes). I can totally see where the author was coming from. The physical demands of the job where tough, I was 18 and in good shape, but everyday when I got home my body was sore.

Fortunately, unlike the author, I was treated like a human being. Working at Menards sucked, but not as bad as the place she was at.

Welcome to the non union world. Living wage - not my problem, health insurance - not my problem, time off - forget it. Profit my boy - that's where it's at. Let those stupid taxpayers subsidize their food and health costs, I'm in it for the money. Who can blame a business owner for taking advantage of the system, business is in the business of making money and there is nothing wrong with that. The "free market" really isn't free if it is not balanced with an organization that is equally strong to look out for the well being of the employees. As our economy shifts to more service jobs something must be done to level the playing field or this nation will dissolve into chaos. If the middle class continues to dwindle and we continue to praise and support the "job creators" with tax cuts there will be no one left to pay the tab. Kinda glad that I hopefully will be retired before the s#!t hits the fan.

Quote Originally Posted by royc View Post
    Excellent article on what some of our not so fortunate people do to earn a living, and a reminder of what others have to do to get that online order to your door.

This is a 4 page read...

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/...s-labor?page=1

Roy
    Worked jobs like that summers during college. Worst was stacking cases of Hormel chili and beans in a hot ass warehouse.

Decent job for a college student, not so much for family man.

Hate Hormel chili to this day.

Quote Originally Posted by geerair View Post
    Hate Hormel chili to this day.
    Of course. You're a Texan.

Texan's and canned chili? Illegal I thought.
    "Social networking" is an oxymoron.

it's important to learn and develop skills that are in demand by customers (aka employers).
    then you can compete for better jobs.
    compressors never die; they're always murdered!

Quote Originally Posted by Spide View Post
    it's important to learn and develop skills that are in demand by customers (aka employers).
    then you can compete for better jobs.
    Yes, that's why our educational system doesn't teach critical thinking, to make good little assembly line robot workers.

This has been the designed that way for as long as we been on this planet, and something tells me it will get worst.

Too many useless eaters.....read my signature.

Roy
    "The perfect Totalitarian State is one where the political bosses, and their army of managers, control a population of slaves, who do not have to be coerced, because they love their servitude"

Hormel chili is what I think.... Sonic uses in their Frito chili pies.

We have made them at home with hormels and used just plain american cheese slices and you cant tell the difference in flavor.

Sonics everywhere now but I have not eaten at one in years...... might have to drive thru one...... but I never really liked their hamburgers.

I ate at wendys today...... single with cheese combo...small size with coke to drink...... ate in a hamricks parking lot....... cant even listen to the radio anymore cause of that damn gps pinging if the key is on..... so anyhow..... I gobbled down my food real quick....got a couple of swigs of coke......and went back to work.

Should have gotten chicken.... but I dont like wendys chicken sandwiches. I like clownburgers chicken sandwiches though..... I also like chik fil as chicken salad sandwich..... especially with some of the hot sauce they have in those little packs.

Have not eaten at chik fil a in a while though......... I suspect the owner of the chain is a pedophile........and I wont support some damn pedophile.
    YOU SHALL REAP WHAT YOU HAVE _______ SOWN

I did notice today that Wendys has those little chicken sandwiches on the value menu. They just dont sell them in a combo anymore...... Crispy chicken sandwich deluxe is what it is....... 1.39. 2 of them make a really good meal.

I would have gotten that today but I didnt see them till I had placed my order.
    YOU SHALL REAP WHAT YOU HAVE _______ SOWN