Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I love Canada, don't have to worry bout killer bees here, too cold!
    It use to be the COLD weather kept the ASH BORE in check , but OTTAWA is infested with them now and a lot of dead / dying ASH trees , so ANYTHING is possible.

You really have to watch out for those aunt bees, especially in the winter!

Anybody getting stung by killer bees ?

Quote Originally Posted by walterc View Post
    The common paper wasp.

Attachment 403681

The Hornet- these guys are mean.

Attachment 403691

The cute fuzzy Bumble Bee.
    Attachment 403701

The honey bee.
    Attachment 403711

The red wasp. Hate these- they have huge stingers.
    Attachment 403721

African killer bee on left- Honey bee on right.

Attachment 403731

Aunt Bee
    Attachment 403741
    This paper wasp is what I have always called yellow jackets. Hornets come in all shapes and sizes, common around here are big black ones with white stripes.

I was surrounded by a flock of honey bees one as I walked down the street. I assume they were in migration. When I looked to my left their were thousands of what seemed to be flowers blowing out of a tree. Realizing these flowers were actually bees surrounding and bumping into me I freaked for split second. By the end of the ordeal I enjoyed quite a bit.

I didn't know it till a year or so ago, but I read the yellow jacket is actually a different species than the paper wasp. I still call them yellow jackets anyway- it rolls off the tongue better and sounds meaner.

I didn't know it till a year or so ago, but I read the yellow jacket is actually a different species than the paper wasp. I still call them yellow jackets anyway- it rolls off the tongue better and sounds meaner.
    Same here.

We have crazy vicious red wasps around here.

Opened a luxaire gas pack one time and saw one crawl from under the component shelf, was like "huh might be a nest" got down and looked and the entire shelf was a bed of wasps, like 20" wide and 8" deep, calmly told the 90ish year old man next to me it was time to scoot his a$$ back inside, he goes in and I take out the entire hoard while dual welding WD-40 cans, it was crazy, so many wasps. The old folks thanked me about 100 times.

I think a call for heat would fix em.

Over 85 degrees they are all gettin sprayyyyyed.
    My name is TooCoolforschool and I am a chronic over charger.

I think the benadryl and beer chaser has knocked PHM out.

Andy Griffith would be quick to correct the pronunciation.... It's AINT BEE........ Ants are those little black 6 legged bugs.....
    Rick

"It is easier to do things right the 1st time rather than to explain why it wasn't when you have to do it the 2nd time."

My Life is endless swirling chaos and the only reason I have a schedule at all is so that I at least have something to base the delays on. But every Saturday I take the little woman out to dinner in Philly somewhere. Last night we went to Cochon (which is 'pig' in French - ask GT1980 if you don't believe me) ate some various kinds of pig meat and

No wait! That is not true! Yesterday we had smoked white fish fritter appetizer - although the frisee under them did have some yummy lardons - so that is at least a Little pig meat - a NY strip, and a broiled trout. (I had the trout). The pom frites which accompanied the steak had a bacon aioli on them too - so that is at least a tiny bit more.

We drank a bottle of a very nice Toscana there with dinner and then a bottle of Tempranillo back here at the ranch. We didn't have any antihistamines but I don't recall my hand and arm itching. Maybe it was due to all the other sensory distractions. <g>

PHM
    ------

I think the benadryl and beer chaser has knocked PHM out.
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

opened a carrier package unit once
    very very old model..... heat section on right / compressor section on left
    wished I could tell you model number

huge wasp nest
    red wasps

go down
    grab several cans of wasp spray
    made sure it the kind you can spray on electric wires (didn't wan't to get shocked / least I thought 'that' far ahead)

one can in each hand

BLAST AWAY

WOOOOOFFFFFFF

FLAMMMEEEESSSS

Oh sure....
    the stuff is OK to spray on live electric wires
    but NOOOOOOO
    don't spray it on a lit pilot

Worst yet was the smoke rolled out so fast it blasted me in the face and I inhaled
    a 'micro spec' (is that even a word.... oh well... it is now)
    my lungs locked up

I mean.... absolutely no air in...... no air out....
    no movement at all
    complete vapor lock

Grabbed my cell phone and started to dial 911
    but thought to myself.... hmmm hows this gonna work when all they can hear is
    " " <---- yes..... thats the sound I was making since I couldn't scream for help

I proceded to swallow(not swallow like with water... but filled my mouth with air and forced it down my windpipe.... didn't need it in my tummy.... needed it in my lungs) air as fast as I could to force fresh air into my lungs

Fortunately.... I was able to start breathing again and luckily there I didn't fry the unit or
    set the building on fire.

I see just how miniscule of smoke it takes to die of asphyxiation

On another note:
    Here's the little guy I walked over the other day
    DIdn't see him the first time
    thought I felt something grab my britches leg when I walking to the unit.. when I headed back to the truck... I caught sight of this....
    Name:  2013-07-05 001 001.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  93.8 KB
    he stayed there long enough for me to hook up two 75' water hoses (hydrant had to be at the other end of the house) and was able to use my sprayer to get him to high tail it across the yard a little ways (a whopping 20ft lol) unfortunately... he borrowed up in some tall grass where I couldn't see him anymore
    Extend to others the grace that God has given you.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast