Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Heat Piump on a Hot Water Tank

I know this is a weird question, but where better to ask a question such as this than here? I want to purchase one of those hybrid hot water tanks. What kind of "heat Pump" is mounted on that sucker? Is it junk, noisy, etc. I'm looking at a GE 50 gal or Whirlpool 60 gal. The whirlpool is several hundred bucks more. Does the Whirlpool have a "better" heat pump than the GE. ie: Copeland vs recip, quieter, etc? It weighs in at about 150 lbs more than the GE. The Big Box salesmen do not know crap about these heaters. One stated it "must" be located in the garage due to the "Massive" air and temperature requirements.

I have the ge and love it. Fans do make some noise but it's in my basement so I don't hear it at all. Keep in mind that recovery is slow using just the heat pump. Buy larger than what you are replacing. My old one was 30gal and the new is 50. The ge uses a small recip with r134a. Also has built in diagnostics. You will need lots of air to feed that thing so if you're gonna stuff it in s closet you will need a louvered door. I believe that the ge needed a minimum of 700 cubic feet of unobstructed space. Personally I wouldn't stuff it in a closet even with a louvered door. Go online and fully read the install manual to be sure that it will work where you are gonna place it. Rheem also makes one and I know they are using r410a with a rotary. The compressor is very quite in the ge, never heard the Rheem run so I can't compare. Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by JDenyer232 View Post
    I have the ge and love it. Fans do make some noise but it's in my basement so I don't hear it at all. .
    Thanks for the info, I think I'm going to pull the trigger for the GE. I hope that fan noise isn't that bad. I live in a ranch and that thing is going in a 8'X5' laundry room which is located close to the "Man" room..

The fan noise isn't that bad. Whats the ceiling height. Even with a ten foot ceiling you only have 400 cuft of air. Unless there is no door on the laundry room. I believe the fans are about 55 to 65dB.

Can you afford the added heat loss to your home?

I like the AirTap heat pump water heater. You can pipe it outside if you want and it has strip heat as well if you need it.
    America; first we fight for our freedom,
    then we make laws to take it away.

-Alfred E Newman

If you have Natural Gas in your house these fancy water heaters make no sense. Even in an all electric house payback may exceed the life of the water tank.

My payback was about 18 months but our electric rate is very high. I agree if you have natural gas available then you should stay with that as that is the cheapest way to go. You should do a payback analysis to see if you should go this route.

Quote Originally Posted by JDenyer232 View Post
    My payback was about 18 months but our electric rate is very high. I agree if you have natural gas available then you should stay with that as that is the cheapest way to go. You should do a payback analysis to see if you should go this route.
    You must use a LOT of water to recover the additional cost in only 18 months !!

We do use a lot of hot water but our electricity rates are also pretty high. Also we got a great deal on the ge water heater. These are not for everyone and I think it would be wise for the OP to carefully study this before buying any heat pump water heater.

The best place to put one is outside. Then it won't cool your house in the winter causing you to pay double for the electricity.

Most will only work down to 45f ambient. Unconditioned basements work well.

Quote Originally Posted by kangaroogod View Post
    Can you afford the added heat loss to your home?
    Well, I'm getting the tank for just a couple hundred bucks after rebates and such. I figure it will help the AC in the cooling system and if it sucks too much heat out of the utility room I'll turn the HP off and use just the elements in the heating season. I figure I still save on hot water overall and help cool the house down. Yes?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast