Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: leak check

Quote Originally Posted by KB Cool View Post
    Maybe time to break out with dye! I hate the stuff! But, it's sometimes necessary!
    the dye?

KB, why do you hate dye? Just curious. I've used it quite a bit with excellent results. Had one grocery store that I started servicing that went through hundreds of lbs of gas each year. Used U.V. Dye and located many leaks, small and large. Store hasn't needed gas for over a year. It seems to be a BIG labor saver, but if I'm doing harm to systems by using it, I'd like to know.

Thanks,
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by GenesisRefrig View Post
    KB, why do you hate dye? Just curious. I've used it quite a bit with excellent results. Had one grocery store that I started servicing that went through hundreds of lbs of gas each year. Used U.V. Dye and located many leaks, small and large. Store hasn't needed gas for over a year. It seems to be a BIG labor saver, but if I'm doing harm to systems by using it, I'd like to know.

Thanks,
    Steve
    I just don't like the mess it leaves behind. It gets in your hoses and on your hands if you don't wear nitrate gloves! But, yeah i've used it several times with excellent results!

Maybe time to break out with dye! I hate the stuff! But, it's sometimes necessary!

Not the Dye!

Never used it- but threatened to a few times.

If you smear it on your hands, you can really freak out your young children with a black light after you've read them a scary story before bed.

What do you do if grease or soot gets on your hands or hoses ?

I'm just curious how you handle as event like that. I mean; in general. What do you do if grease or soot gets on your hands or hoses or other tools?

PHM
    ------

I just don't like the mess it leaves behind. It gets in your hoses and on your hands if you don't wear nitrate gloves! But, yeah i've used it several times with excellent results!
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by Poodle Head Mikey View Post
    I'm just curious how you handle as event like that. I mean; in general. What do you do if grease or soot gets on your hands or hoses or other tools?

PHM
    ------

I wipe my tools down with a rag and wash my hands! Why?

My thought was that if you wash your hands with something (like soap or hand cleaner) when they are dirty then maybe you could wash your hands with something (like dye cleaner) when you get dye on them.

PHM
    -------

I wipe my tools down with a rag and wash my hands! Why?
    PHM
    --------

what is this dye cleaner you speak of. never seen it

No need to exceed 100 psi with a trace of r22. Too much pressure and you'll just blow the Big Blue away from the leak instead of generating bubbles you can see. A trace of r22 mixed with your Nitrogen will allow you to find the lead with a good quality leak detector. The H-10 mentioned earlier is by Bacharach.

It's out in the truck - I'll have to look tomorrow - here they sell it right next to the dye.

For one thing - after the leak is repaired then what do you do? When you come back later how do you tell an old/repaired leak site from a new and leaking leak site unless you clean the repaired area of dye? What do you use to clean off the old dye stains?

PHM
    ------

Quote Originally Posted by drife678 View Post
    what is this dye cleaner you speak of. never seen it
    PHM
    --------

Quote Originally Posted by jpbhvac View Post
    No need to exceed 100 psi with a trace of r22. Too much pressure and you'll just blow the Big Blue away from the leak instead of generating bubbles you can see. A trace of r22 mixed with your Nitrogen will allow you to find the lead with a good quality leak detector. The H-10 mentioned earlier is by Bacharach.
    I have heard but not seen, too much pressure on a leak check could damage the txv.
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Liberalism-Ideas so good they mandate them

I clean up old dye and spilled dye with brake cleaner from the local auto parts store. It works great and also comes in handy for cleaning up grease and dirt from other work surfaces in the course of the day. Never leave home without brake cleaner.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast